Halloween Moon Crabs

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Emmorgan

Halloween Moon Crabs

Post by Emmorgan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 am

Hi! So I’ve been looking into getting some pet Halloween Moon crabs, but I can’t find much information on if they’re all wild caught, if they’re endangered, etc. I don’t want to adopt a pet that’s wild caught or endangered, aside from my hermies that I adopted 3 years ago before I learned how horrible their circumstances are, being taken from the wild, pulled out of their shells, etc. I’m really interested in Halloween Moon crabs, and I’m 99% positive they’re wild caught. But I just want to see if there is anyone here who might have more information on them. I understand their care, and it’s not too different from that of a hermit crab, but it’s their origins and treatment before they end up in that box at the door or pet store paper box I’m interested in. I don’t want to support mistreatment or wild capturing of a species.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Halloween Moon Crabs

Post by wodesorel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:01 am

I have never heard of them being bred in captivity, but someone out there may have done it. For sure if you're getting them from a pet store they have been wild caught! They are cheap and easy to get so breeding isn't going to be a priority for the distributors.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:07 am

Look into vampire crabs, from my understanding they all captive bred and regularly do so in the trade.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

SilverHermits

Post by SilverHermits » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:13 pm

Here I found something that might help:
https://justeukaryotethings.com/2019/06 ... are-sheet/
It mentioned how all Halloween Moon Crabs are wild-caught as well as a couple other things
I found NOTHING on breeding them in captivity
Crabber for over 11 years
16 hermit crabs
13 Purple Pinchers, 2 Straws and a Brevi
Tanks: 100g, 75g, 29g+ a bunch of smaller ones