Ecuadorian

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Kissamae

Ecuadorian

Post by Kissamae » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Need help with finding Es. I’m in Wisconsin and would love to be able to adopt. Any suggestions?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ecuadorian

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:45 pm

Crabs available may only ve one species, so your crabs colony may already be decided for you! I would just check out the local pet stores in your area when they get new additions in - ask them if they can contact you if they get new shipments in - and hope that some accidently arrive on one of the shipments.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wrswrs2

Post by wrswrs2 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:03 pm

I got my E at PetCo. They are few and far between though.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:59 pm

My Petco near me started having E’s since last summer, but before that, it was really rare
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 am

AwesomeHermit wrote:My Petco near me started having E’s since last summer, but before that, it was really rare
Extremely rare occasions will I see an Ecuadorian at my PetCo.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Mamakins

Post by Mamakins » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:28 pm

I’m resigned to only ever having PP’s. That the only thing my local pet store has had for years.
Laura: AKA MOM! Crabby since May 07
Mom to Evan 19, Trevor 16, Justin 14, Warren 12
Hermit crabs, created geckos, box turtle and Uromastyx.

Lorne_Clawstrong

Post by Lorne_Clawstrong » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Whenever I check the tanks at my local pet stores, they're empty or all the crabs are hiding, so I don't understand how other members here seem to be able to identify when a batch of Es arrive. Is it just that they're so much more active? Trust me, if I ask the employees around here about different hermit crab species, they'd stare at me like I was speaking Greek.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:34 pm

You just need to ask the employees to look at them. You aren't under any obligation to purchase any.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 pm

Lorne_Clawstrong wrote:Whenever I check the tanks at my local pet stores, they're empty or all the crabs are hiding, so I don't understand how other members here seem to be able to identify when a batch of Es arrive. Is it just that they're so much more active? Trust me, if I ask the employees around here about different hermit crab species, they'd stare at me like I was speaking Greek.
Yes, because the categorize hermit crabs as "fancy" which are painted shells, and "natural" for ones that have shells from the wild.
Hermit crabs that are in natural shells are taken right from the beach, and not offered any different shells. The painted ones are taken as well, but with their regular shells cracked open by manufacturers in a warehouse, and tossed in a bucket full of painted ones.

It's very heartbreaking, and unavoidable.
We really would like to change the ways of stores with crabs, but it's extremely hard to get a strong word out.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!