Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
StarGirlxo
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by StarGirlxo » Tue May 01, 2018 8:10 am

Hi 2 largest crabs bonnie and clyde had 2 scuffles . clyde came up from molt and bonnie damaged both pincers and made him run naked for some reason she wanted his shell
But he was doing ok. Last week I've come to find that bonnie went in to his hang out cave and stole his shell held onto it for some time then took it over leaving him naked and stressed and Leaving clyde traumatized he dropped all legs except one long walking leg and his big messed up pincer from original fight .
I have I'm in iso tank in my large tank to keep him safe I make a food mash with peanut butter and honey as a base then poor foods in and mix up. I put it in another shell Bonnie's old shell that he seems to be able to reach in and get it with his mouth hands. I also mist him so he can grab water droplets to drink. He seems to come out and thank me other than that he's in a big shell too big for him and sleeps most of the time. It happened over the weekend
I check on him constantly but leave him be I've heard of people nursing crabs with 2 legs back to health and his will to survive seems to be there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated if there is anything more I can do
I know it's not a sure thing but as long as hes not giving up neither will I. Pictures posted as well thank you. ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Last edited by StarGirlxo on Tue May 01, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar

Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by Angel_crab » Tue May 01, 2018 4:18 pm

I’m really sorry to hear what has happened to your poor crabbie.
I have had past experience with shell fights - one of my molters came up and one of my other crabs took the opportunity to steal his shell which left him naked and traumatised. I isolated him and offered him food and water, but he kept dropping legs until he had 1 leg and 1 claw left and unfortunately after about 5 days, he passed away.

From my experience, the chances of survival aren’t great if they have been severely stressed, but my advice is to just keep doing what you’re doing, and monitor him closely to make sure he is doing alright and starting to eat and regain his strength again. Probably best to keep him isolated for a while until he starts looking like he’s going to molt again.
Hopefully someone else will give their opinion on what to do too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Topic author
StarGirlxo
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by StarGirlxo » Tue May 01, 2018 4:27 pm

Angel_crab wrote:I’m really sorry to hear what has happened to your poor crabbie.
I have had past experience with shell fights - one of my molters came up and one of my other crabs took the opportunity to steal his shell which left him naked and traumatised. I isolated him and offered him food and water, but he kept dropping legs until he had 1 leg and 1 claw left and unfortunately after about 5 days, he passed away.

From my experience, the chances of survival aren’t great if they have been severely stressed, but my advice is to just keep doing what you’re doing, and monitor him closely to make sure he is doing alright and starting to eat and regain his strength again. Probably best to keep him isolated for a while until he starts looking like he’s going to molt again.
Hopefully someone else will give their opinion on what to do too Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6502
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Give raw organic honey, powdered eggshell, and I would try to powder up as much of his other foods as possible. (put them into a coffee grinder). Protein, calcium, fats are necessary for good molts. But, you need to cover all aspects of the food pyramid. He needs marine saltwater and freshwater (both dechlorinated). You can offer those in bottle caps so he can at least drink. IMO misting crabs can be stressful. My crabs never liked that when I did it -which was a very long time ago ;)

We are here for you if you need us! Try not to handle him!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9171
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Make sure he can eat a LOT - I like honey, insects, shrimp and coconut for these situations - give him access to water at least daily (I did three times a day, first salt than fresh, it also allowed for some exercise and kept her clean), and he should grow in gel legs in a month or so and then molt and grow new legs and pinchers soon! ImageImageImageImage


Topic author
StarGirlxo
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by StarGirlxo » Wed May 02, 2018 7:31 pm

wodesorel wrote:Make sure he can eat a LOT - I like honey, insects, shrimp and coconut for these situations - give him access to water at least daily (I did three times a day, first salt than fresh, it also allowed for some exercise and kept her clean), and he should grow in gel legs in a month or so and then molt and grow new legs and pinchers soon! ImageImageImageImage
Thank you so much for the insight

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6502
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 02, 2018 7:50 pm

Awe...those pictures melted my heart!!! :cloud9:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com


Topic author
StarGirlxo
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by StarGirlxo » Wed May 02, 2018 8:43 pm

StarGirlxo wrote:
wodesorel wrote:Make sure he can eat a LOT - I like honey, insects, shrimp and coconut for these situations - give him access to water at least daily (I did three times a day, first salt than fresh, it also allowed for some exercise and kept her clean), and he should grow in gel legs in a month or so and then molt and grow new legs and pinchers soon! ImageImageImageImage
Thank you so much for the insight

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
How long in each water? I'm doing the. Food right

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9171
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by wodesorel » Wed May 02, 2018 9:53 pm

I would leave her in for 5 or 10 minutes and walk out of the room to do something else. She was really jumpy around me though so I couldn't watch her! And just like a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch of water, just enough for her to dip mouthparts and scoot around the cup, not enough to spill into her shell opening.


Topic author
StarGirlxo
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by StarGirlxo » Wed May 02, 2018 10:01 pm

wodesorel wrote:I would leave her in for 5 or 10 minutes and walk out of the room to do something else. She was really jumpy around me though so I couldn't watch her! And just like a 1/8 to a 1/4 inch of water, just enough for her to dip mouthparts and scoot around the cup, not enough to spill into her shell opening.
Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Topic author
StarGirlxo
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by StarGirlxo » Thu May 03, 2018 7:08 am

Keeping you updated. Now that I'm sure of what to do. He just got watered (no pics ) I will later.
He seems to enjoy salt water dish more than freshwater. But I leave him in both for 5 min each. He just enjoyed his food mash when he's finished he turns himself around I have pics of that below ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User avatar

Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by Angel_crab » Thu May 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Glad to hear that he’s doing well :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9171
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by wodesorel » Thu May 03, 2018 5:57 pm

I found the qtips to work better than dishes in her case, as the only moving parts that could lift were her mouth. For powders I would roll it in honey or babyfood first, then roll it in the dry like sprinkles. Always kept proteins, honey and coconut as those allow for a lot of energy and calories and good fats which is the fastest way for them to build up molting reserves!


Topic author
StarGirlxo
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by StarGirlxo » Thu May 03, 2018 7:30 pm

wodesorel wrote:I found the qtips to work better than dishes in her case, as the only moving parts that could lift were her mouth. For powders I would roll it in honey or babyfood first, then roll it in the dry like sprinkles. Always kept proteins, honey and coconut as those allow for a lot of energy and calories and good fats which is the fastest way for them to build up molting reserves!
Great that's what I'm doing. I just wish he was eating more he is but not a lot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User avatar

AwesomeHermit
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu May 03, 2018 7:36 pm

3 Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Crabbing for over two years!

Post Reply