Mite Problems

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Nillawaffer

Mite Problems

Post by Nillawaffer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 pm

I've been having some mite problems for a while now. I've done as much tank cleaning as possible, but I have multiple crabs in my tank and there is always someone underground molting. Therefore I cannot throw out my old substrate and do a deep cleaning on my main tank. I have most of my crabs in my secondary, but I'm afraid that if they stay there any longer that the mites, will also travel there after a while. And, yes I change the water and food daily to keep the possibility as low as possible.
While I was researching on how to solve the problem I read on some site that there a predatory mites that will eat the Phoretic mites that come and visit the tank. I'll put the link below. I have no idea if this is at all a trustworthy site or suggestion. Can anyone tell me if they have tried this and if it worked? If it's not any suggestions on how to get rid of these mites without disturbing my molting crabs?
http://animals.mom.me/hermit-crab-molts ... 10779.html

Thank you so much!
Nill

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mite Problems

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:46 pm

Are they food mites or 'parasitic' mites?

Food mites are rather common, and in most cases they are benefitual in forming a clean up crew within the tank. Food mites tend to be tan, white or brown in colouration... and normally found living on the substrate, decor and such - not on the crabs themselves.

Parasitic mites tend to be a lot brighter in comparison, often - but not always... off memory - tend to be red or orange-y in appearence, and in most cases is found on the crabs, like between limbs and the like.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Predatory mites do work and will kill off any other species in the tank and then die off themselves having eaten all of their food source.

However, most of the time the mites we see are either food/grain/wood mites or naturally occurring predatory mites. They eventually come right back to the tank because they are already in our homes and they want the heat and moisture of the crabitat.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Nillawaffer

Post by Nillawaffer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:10 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Are they food mites or 'parasitic' mites?

Food mites are rather common, and in most cases they are benefitual in forming a clean up crew within the tank. Food mites tend to be tan, white or brown in colouration... and normally found living on the substrate, decor and such - not on the crabs themselves.

Parasitic mites tend to be a lot brighter in comparison, often - but not always... off memory - tend to be red or orange-y in appearence, and in most cases is found on the crabs, like between limbs and the like.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
There are food mites, and I don't mind those as much. But I have also seen quite a few of the parasitic mites, the red ones, on the crabs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 am

Oooh, yeah, definitely look into predatory mites!! The crabs need to be not molting for it to work, or you may need to do another round of the mites once the molters come up.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Mite Problems

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:21 am

Yes- they work! I put them in my tank two years ago- no mites since. They are pricey.

Edit: I put mine in for food mites. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Nillawaffer

Post by Nillawaffer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:48 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Yes- they work! I put them in my tank two years ago- no mites since. They are pricey.

Edit: I put mine in for food mites. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you remember where you bought them? Can i find them at a local gardening store of some sort?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:01 pm

I bought mine online - I'm sorry, don't remember the name.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:03 pm

You could probably search a good website for them up
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Evergreen Growers Supply was used by many HCAers for mites over the years. I haven't myself, but considered it when the phoretic phase mites got bad on some of my scorpions.

Topic author
Nillawaffer

Post by Nillawaffer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Thank you all for the help! Much appreciated!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 pm

I am glad you got everything under control! :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Kobosolo

Post by Kobosolo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:18 pm

This is a very slippery story with a story told to play like this.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:43 am

Kobosolo wrote:This is a very slippery story with a story told to play like this.
What?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!