Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Re: Large crab attacked but other crab. Twice over shell

Post by StarGirlxo » Tue May 29, 2018 7:33 pm

wodesorel wrote:Sunshine started fussing and refusing food right before she was ready to molt. She also kept spinning herself around and knocking herself onto her back. At that point I covered her with a cocohut and left her alone for one week. I did water and food then - just in case - and she refused both so I left her alone for another week and peaked in just to check, she had shed! I then treated her like any other crab and allowed her to molt unaided and dig out of the cocohut on her own.
Just ordered coco hut from Amazon all natural. Thanks for the tip I think that will be perfect for him

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Thu May 31, 2018 12:29 pm

I will check on him until I leave for Chicago next week.
I put him in molting mode today.
He has leg buds so its probably time for him to get to molting because another person told me who's gone through this, that's its about 2 weeks after they sprout jelly legs that they go molt and its about that time Good luck my clyde we are rooting for you. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:28 am

UPDATE!!!!
we are Back from Chicago.

Just got back all is well. He has partially molted and is still in the process. So I'm leaving him be. I didn't disturb him, I did I quick peek
I will leave him under the shell until he's fully awake and finished or he digs himself out. There was bits of exoskeleton but not a full molt yet. The two legs haven't and I'm sure he's eaten some but not sure if he could but he's ok so I'm ok
Im so happy I got that coconut shell Thank you again for all your advice

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:37 am

That's not normal!! There is no such thing as a partial molt with crustaceans, the entire skin comes off as one complete piece all at once. If their exo starts flaking off in chunks they do not survive.

What exactly did you see? Can you get a picture?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm

wodesorel wrote:That's not normal!! There is no such thing as a partial molt with crustaceans, the entire skin comes off as one complete piece all at once. If their exo starts flaking off in chunks they do not survive.

He's fine. He didn't shed his 2 legs left but his jelly legs are formed little legs now. I have a unique situation here. I just picked him up and he's ok he even ate a little for me. He's back in his coconut cave. Now I'm afraid I disturbed him too much
he's still in a process of healing. Thank you for your concern

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:37 pm

wodesorel wrote:That's not normal!! There is no such thing as a partial molt with crustaceans, the entire skin comes off as one complete piece all at once. If their exo starts flaking off in chunks they do not survive.

I'm actually impressed how well all his new legs look in such a short time.
My clyde is a fighter
he's going to be Great

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 am

StarGirlxo wrote:

He's fine. He didn't shed his 2 legs left but his jelly legs are formed little legs now. I have a unique situation here. I just picked him up and he's ok he even ate a little for me. He's back in his coconut cave. Now I'm afraid I disturbed him too much

In the process or healing or not, I agree that a partial shed is not normal. They have to shed their entire exo to have a successful molt. Gel legs are a good sign, but that crab is not out of the woods yet. The situation is more common than you would think, as crabs are competitive over resources naturally. If you search the forum for shell jacking I'm sure you'll find several threads similar to yours. :) Please try to not pick him up unless necessary, especially after a molt because they can still be soft. Also, he should only be eating his exo until he no longer wants it after a fresh molt. It does take a couple molts for them to get completely better. At the end of the day, it is your crab, but I guarantee that you are in the best possible hands with Wode's advice. Wishing you and your crabbie the best!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:58 am

If he has retained exo on the two legs that were still whole things may still go downhill so be prepared. Best case scenario is that he drops those two limbs soon, this is why they can! I have never known a crab to be able to shed retained exo during the next molt. He probably was not able to wiggle those legs free this time around either due to injury or just physical limitations.

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:04 am

Rawrgeous wrote:
StarGirlxo wrote:

In the process or healing or not, I agree that a partial shed is not normal. They have to shed their entire exo to have a successful molt. Gel legs are a good sign, but that crab is not out of the woods yet. The situation is more common than you would think, as crabs are competitive over resources naturally. If you search the forum for shell jacking I'm sure you'll find several threads similar to yours. :) Please try to not pick him up unless necessary, especially after a molt because they can still be soft. Also, he should only be eating his exo until he no longer wants it after a fresh molt. It does take a couple molts for them to get completely better. At the end of the day, it is your crab, but I guarantee that you are in the best possible hands with Wode's advice. Wishing you and your crabbie the best!
Ok I understand that. But the 2 legs left were his big pincer that was crushed in first fight and one walking leg. He has to be completely cared for. I'm not even sure he can eat his exo skeleton with no way to pick it up before we left for vacation I set him up almost like a forced surface molt and until I woke him up last night out of concern after reading comments, he seemed in the process so maybe he's not finished but the rest of his body was there shedded except the 2 legs he had left maybe he could not wiggle them out. Maybe they are shedding and stuck on but I won't touch him right now again but he did seem to be fine and progressing in his healing.
All we can do is hope for the best
I will keep checking on him and keep updating.

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:05 am

wodesorel wrote:If he has retained exo on the two legs that were still whole things may still go downhill so be prepared. Best case scenario is that he drops those two limbs soon, this is why they can! I have never known a crab to be able to shed retained exo during the next molt. He probably was not able to wiggle those legs free this time around either due to injury or just physical limitations.
Exactly that's what I just posted. We are on the same page now. I'm hoping he drops or wiggles them free

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:15 am

wodesorel wrote:If he has retained exo on the two legs that were still whole things may still go downhill so be prepared. Best case scenario is that he drops those two limbs soon, this is why they can! I have never known a crab to be able to shed retained exo during the next molt. He probably was not able to wiggle those legs free this time around either due to injury or just physical limitations.
Also keep in mind it was 6 days we were gone that he did this surface molt under the coconut he's a fairly large crab there is no way he's finished right? they go down for a while now my big ones. Even my not so big ones go for longer underground molts this is my first surface molt experience too even though he technically was in a cave environment

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:22 am

Also. P.S. Bonnie that took his shell is down molting as we speak she's been down over 2 weeks I'm sure she's gonna be down a while more probably some time in July.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:37 am

He sounds like he is done molting at this point. They spend a long time looking for the right spot and recovering energy after, but the actual shedding process takes a few minutes to a few hours at most. They pop right out of their old skin with it in one solid piece, and then chow down on it which can take a few days to a few weeks, and they can do so with only their mouthparts if necessary. Surface molters can be done with the whole process in a week, though they may end up weakened for a few weeks after.

When they aren't able to get that whole skin off in one piece it will not come off at a later time. When they molt they pull back fluids from the front half of their body and they physically separate new skin from old skin so they have space to wriggle free. They do not have the ability to control that process in a single area, it is all or nothing. And given that the new skin has now hardened into a normal exo while trapped under the old dead exo, there is a huge chance for constriction of the tissue which can cause parts of the limb to die or become infected if everything is too tight. There also isn't much space in those limbs for a normal molt in the future, especially at the joints. There is always a chancs his next molt is normal, but you'll have to wait and see!

Topic author
StarGirlxo

Post by StarGirlxo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:07 am

Clyde is still alive he dropped the front part of his long walking leg. I continue to feed and water him every other day. He just stays under his coconut cave I leave him out for a while when I feed and water him. He has a will to live.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:46 pm

That's good news!!