When to offer food, and for how long

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Iraj

When to offer food, and for how long

Post by Iraj » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:56 pm

I'm not sure if I should leave food in the crabitat 24 hours a day, or take it away during the day? My apartment is prone to getting a lot of fruit flies and gnats because it's next door to the garbage chute, and a lot of slobs just leave their garbage lying beside the chute. :evil: So this morning after 24 hours the food in the crabs' dish was smelling pretty bad and getting moldy, with clouds of flies.

I know different foods stay good for longer periods, but in general do the crabs need access to food during the day when they're not very active? Or do you put it out in the evening and leave it overnight, taking it out in the morning?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: When to offer food, and for how long

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:34 pm

I usually give my crabs access to food 24/7 because they like to snack at all hours.

If you’re having trouble with rotting food, try dehydrated ones. Those don’t go bad so easily and can sit longer without attracting insects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Iraj

Post by Iraj » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 pm

JoeHermits wrote:I usually give my crabs access to food 24/7 because they like to snack at all hours.

If you’re having trouble with rotting food, try dehydrated ones. Those don’t go bad so easily and can sit longer without attracting insects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, good idea! I have a couple of dehydrated things I could offer them, like mealworms.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:17 pm

You could even do something like offering two bowls. One for fresh (removed in the morning) and other for dry?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Danik

Post by Danik » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:02 am

aussieJJDude wrote:You could even do something like offering two bowls. One for fresh (removed in the morning) and other for dry?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Great idea

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk