Food Trials

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
hermiwormi

Food Trials

Post by hermiwormi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 pm

How are food trials performed? Do crabs die during these trials? If any crabs were to become Ill during the trials, what happens next?

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Food Trials

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Food trials are done by giving established crabs a new item of food without changing any other variables in the tank. This food item is fed several times over a period of time and problems with molting and health issues are watched for. Ideally several colonies of crabs are used.

No crab has ever died in a food trial. If it's something they don't want/might be harmful they just don't eat it.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 pm

Interesting..Are the people performing the food trials your everyday crabbers?

ғɪᴠᴇ ᴘᴘs: ᴋᴏᴀ, ᴍᴏᴊᴀ, sɪᴀᴍ, ᴏᴢᴀʀᴋ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴄʜᴇʟʟᴀ

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Yeah so, the original food trials were organized by someone called Julia Crab. Our lists are based off her lists and have only been fine tuned over the years to resolve any confusion.

As admin, I have removed some things from the unsafe list when we've had members go 'I've offered that for years without ever checking'. Not really enough for a ringing endorsement for the safe list, but enough to show it didn't deserve to be on the unsafe list.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram