Homemade Dry Mixes and Storage/shelf life

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Homemade Dry Mixes and Storage/shelf life

Post by angelbearpuppy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:01 pm

So as the topic points out. How do you store yoir own mixes....and how long are they good for on average. I know some variations depending on what you put in it account but I am curious.

On that note I do offer a varriety of fresh meats fats fruits veggies...ECT from the pyramid. Along with my dry.

Right now my crab "trail mix" it in a old sealed plastic container that has been cleaned out. It has a good kid from what I can tell.

Also how do you go about making yours.

For me the "trail mix" is kind of ust a mixture of leftover dried bits some intentionally brought....coconut. Some spur of the moment such as the leaf litter I picked up on a walk ECT... Its basically a collection of odds and ends I shake up crush up and serve as a suprise. I dont really know everything in it and they get a little something different each time. My original thought was to toss and santize every three months or so and start fresh with a base and add in the odds and ends. Bit I am looking for critique and advice.
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

Danik

Re: Homemade Dry Mixes and Storage/shelf life

Post by Danik » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:05 pm

angelbear122189 wrote:So as the topic points out. How do you store yoir own mixes....and how long are they good for on average. I know some variations depending on what you put in it account but I am curious.

On that note I do offer a varriety of fresh meats fats fruits veggies...ECT from the pyramid. Along with my dry.

Right now my crab "trail mix" it in a old sealed plastic container that has been cleaned out. It has a good kid from what I can tell.

For me the "trail mix" is kind of ust a mixture of leftover dried bits some intentionally brought....coconut. Some spur of the moment such as the leaf litter I picked up on a walk ECT... Its basically a collection of odds and ends I shake up crush up and serve as a suprise. I dont really know everything in it and they get a little something different each time. My original thought was to toss and santize every three months or so and start fresh with a base and add in the odds and ends. Bit I am looking for critique and advice.
There is a lady on here that sells good stuff on Etsy like that. Her shop is called The Healthy Hermit and here user name on her is gotbutterflies. She makes good stuff. She can give you some help. My crabbies love her mixes

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 pm

If the container is sealed any dry food inside should last about a year or so.

I keep mine in baby jars purely for aesthetics. My extra food I keep in the refrigerator to help it keep longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Dry food breaks down faster than most people think, especially ones without salt or preservatives. Exposure to oxygen and room temps causes oxidation of valuable minerals and vitamins. The food may still be edible over time, but the benefits from it decrease. Hermits can also eat some funky things that would make humans sick, doesn't mean that's exactly good for them.

Anything with meat will also go bad fairly quickly. If you ever look at a package of beef jerky, the fine print says use within three days or refrigerate. Even homemade jerky lasts for about a week sitting out, and two weeks in the fridge.

Nuts and anything else with oils will go rancid over time. This includes coconut. Most nuts only have a shelf life of a few months when opened (and sometimes not opened) before they start tasting bad.

Fruit and veggies will slowly absorb moisture from the air, which causes them to go funky. For humans in optimum conditions (cold, dry and dark) it's 6 months to a year. I have had dried fruit absorb enough moisture from the air to mold in as little as a few weeks.

I highly recommend long-term storage in a fridge. You're talking a year or more, and basically forever if you use a freezer.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:54 am

Danik wrote:
angelbear122189 wrote:So as the topic points out. How do you store yoir own mixes....and how long are they good for on average. I know some variations depending on what you put in it account but I am curious.

There is a lady on here that sells good stuff on Etsy like that. Her shop is called The Healthy Hermit and here user name on her is gotbutterflies. She makes good stuff. She can give you some help. My crabbies love her mixes

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I second this!! I found her etsy shop just a couple of weeks ago and I've already made 2 orders! She has an amazing selection, her customer service is incredible, and shipping is fast! I highly recommend ImageImage

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:54 am

wodesorel wrote:Dry food breaks down faster than most people think, especially ones without salt or preservatives. Exposure to oxygen and room temps causes oxidation of valuable minerals and vitamins. The food may still be edible over time, but the benefits from it decrease. Hermits can also eat some funky things that would make humans sick, doesn't mean that's exactly good for them.

Anything with meat will also go bad fairly quickly. If you ever look at a package of beef jerky, the fine print says use within three days or refrigerate. Even homemade jerky lasts for about a week sitting out, and two weeks in the fridge.

Nuts and anything else with oils will go rancid over time. This includes coconut. Most nuts only have a shelf life of a few months when opened (and sometimes not opened) before they start tasting bad.

Fruit and veggies will slowly absorb moisture from the air, which causes them to go funky. For humans in optimum conditions (cold, dry and dark) it's 6 months to a year. I have had dried fruit absorb enough moisture from the air to mold in as little as a few weeks.

I highly recommend long-term storage in a fridge. You're talking a year or more, and basically forever if you use a freezer.
I had a dry mix in a plastic container and it was fine when I made it but today I checked and it was completely molded. ImageImage
So I put all my food in my freezer. Dry mixes and everything.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
angelbearpuppy

Post by angelbearpuppy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Got it. I will store it in the fridge. And replace often to keep fresh
I have owned Hermit Crabs for 2 Years

I have 1 E named Monkey and 2 PP named Shy Guy and Little P

I also own 1 PP named Dory who stays in my classroom

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:56 am

I buy all my dry food from HCP, and have always kept it in my freezer without any issues.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers