Egg! What Now?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Egg! What Now?

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:58 pm

That’s disheartening. I still have a few more eggs, so I guess I’ll keep hatching them for the next few days. Probably won’t change anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:07 pm

Also, I was under the impression that the eggs hatched immediately upon contact with saltwater. These things are taking ten to thirty minutes to hatch. Is that a normal hatching time?

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:35 pm

Just checked the ones from last night. Some of them are twitching, so they’re definitely alive, but they can’t really move around.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:44 pm

This is a video one of our admins took years ago of her PP releasing zoea: https://youtu.be/C49NexWTIFM

Mom is supposed to launch them, and then the current takes them and keeps them moving at all times. The eggs should pop as soon as they hit water, but they might need the water movement to help with that. They are not able to free-swim - they stay in the water column by riding the current.

If they are settled at the bottom there may not be enough water movement to keep them elevated.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Good luck! The photos give us a real good look at them

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:34 pm

Hatched more eggs today. These hatched much more readily and look more developed. But they’re dead.

I may have hatched them too late. The eggs look like they’ve lost moisture, and the larvae have green around their eyes.

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:41 pm

ImageImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Awe man - great pictures!!! I'm sorry that they didn't make it!! Where did you find them? Are anymore of your females carrying?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:55 pm

I found the eggs in the cholla next to the exercise wheel. None of my females are carrying right now, so I may have to wait until next year for a new batch.

Interestingly, the green has disappeared. Note sure if it was algae or mold or what. The deceased zoea look more normal colored now.

You can’t really tell from the photos, but this new batch has developed appendages on the heads and bodies and more prominent fins on their tails. The last batch lacked them. They are also less curled.

That’s why I’m wondering if I’m just hatching them prematurely. I have more eggs, so I guess I’ll hatch those in a few days and see if I can collect more data.

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:58 pm

Sorry about the bad luck with the eggs. Can I ask you where you got your Kreisel tube from? I was interested in building one but wasn’t sure where to find the tube.

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:20 pm

rml6f4 wrote:Sorry about the bad luck with the eggs. Can I ask you where you got your Kreisel tube from? I was interested in building one but wasn’t sure where to find the tube.
I made it from a five gallon water cooler jug. I cut off the top and bottom, sliced an opening along the side, and cut out a square that I epoxied micron mesh over.

My design is based off of another aquarist’s design. Here’s where he explains it:

http://www.houstonfishbox.com/vforums/s ... ank-Design

I’ve heard that one can also use an acrylic tube (carried by some hardware stores). That might give a better aesthetic and performance, but the jug is a lot cheaper.

rml6f4

Post by rml6f4 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:57 pm

That is genius. And I’m all about cheaper options. Thank you!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm not sure if there is a way to properly incubate them once mom decides to drop them. She's going to be fluffing them and keeping them at proper humidity levels and temps.

Topic author
JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:16 pm

I’m not sure, either. The fact that they’re drying out only proves I don’t know what I’m doing.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:11 pm

No, that's on momma crab for not delivering them to water like she is supposed to. Smearing them around the tank is not normal - either it's the effects of being in captivity, or she ditched eggs she knew were no good.