skeletal ingestion?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
jbug

skeletal ingestion?

Post by jbug » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:03 pm

Hello there! What I am about to say may sound crazy to many of you but I unfortunately swear it is the truth. I tried to think of a way to explain my question without providing the specifics but anticipate many questions that will only result in the providing of all details anyway. So here it goes...
I am new to forums as well as salt water tank ownership. I have a 40 gallon tank with two (now one) seahorses, a blue tang, a clownfish (yes... boring I know), a fire shrimp, a ghost shrimp, 5 snails, and two marine hermit crabs.

I have had a stalker for the past 10 years who has followed me from one house to another (4 times) and who gets in to my home despite changing the locks. Usually they only do something to make me think I am going crazy like leaving the door unlocked or open or a light or fan on and what not. Last week my kids and I were out of town and I had someone taking care of my fish tank for me. When we left, I had two seahorses. When I returned, there was only one. I texted the gal to see if one of the seahorses had died and she said that they were both in the tank and fine one day and the next day one was gone. I am trying to discern if the seahorse died and the two hermit crabs were able to finish it off to the point that there was absolutely nothing left of the seahorse within a 24 hour period of time or if my stalker friend is getting creepier. I wouldn't think it would be possible for an entire sea horse (bones and all) to completely disappear within that amount of time given its tank mates but would like to know for sure. Either way, I am super sad about the loss of my sea horse for myself and for its mate.

I would greatly appreciate any information you could share to help me determine what exactly occurred. Thank you!

PS- for those of you who think this sounds rather non-chalant... it has been a long 10 years with neighbors seeing this person but not yet able to get a definitive on who it is. It has become a way of life for me and because I do have an idea of who is behind it, I do not fear for mine or my kids lives but it is exhausting and if this person did in fact step it up and take the seahorse, then I am becoming a bit more concerned. With each move I have been hopeful it would end but as that does not appear to be the case (there were other non-applicable strange incidents while we were gone) I do want to assure any concerned/bewildered persons that I am taking more aggressive steps to hopefully catch the SOB.

soilentgringa

Re: skeletal ingestion?

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:15 pm

They could have eaten it, yes. When I had thin stripes they would polish off entire dried mussels in a sitting, buttttt there would be tiny shreds left. If you have multiple fish though, it is possible that it would be gone with no trace.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:38 pm

That's awful. I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Can I just make a suggestion, that you didn't ask for, and I'm sure have thought of or are already doing. Nanny cams. All over the house. I actually have them inside my crabitats so I can see my crabs's nighttime antics. I use Wyze Cam. Not expensive. And you can watch anytime through wifi. On your phone. Hope you can shake your stalker.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:43 pm

I second the WyzeCam. If there would be an intruder, you could talk for them to leave THROUGH the WyzeCam.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:44 pm

I would recommend a WyzeCam Pan for it is 360
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
jbug

Post by jbug » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:01 pm

After talking to the gal who watched over my tank for me while I was away some more, I confirmed that both sea horses were active when she saw them last and that 20 hours later when the one was missing she not only did a thorough search through the tank (which isn't even that big or crowded to begin with) and saw nothing- not even any remnants. This information combined with thoughts from a few local aquarium store owners (was also checking to see if anyone tried to sell a seahorse to any of them recently) suggests that it is my friendly neighborhood stalker. Thank you for your input, suggestions, and well wishes- I will look into purchasing the wyzecam pan.

Orin

Post by Orin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:58 am

Do you know what types or how big the marine hermits are? I've seen Dardanus hermits eat starfish which are more bone than flesh.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:35 pm

I am having doubts about people in my house for sure. I have no proof, though. I will be using my Wyze Pan for my room and my Wyze v2 for my crabs. I have heard more noises, the stoves are randomly on when no one allegedly turns them on, and deep down I know something is wrong. It's so scary to walk in a dark room thinking that someone else is inside.
Crabbing for 4 years!

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:41 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:I am having doubts about people in my house for sure. I have no proof, though. I will be using my Wyze Pan for my room and my Wyze v2 for my crabs. I have heard more noises, the stoves are randomly on when no one allegedly turns them on, and deep down I know something is wrong. It's so scary to walk in a dark room thinking that someone else is inside.
Oh my gosh....that is truly scary! I hope you find out what is going on and more importantly WHO is doing it!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:55 am

My cats turned our last stove on a couple of times. It had push down and turn knobs and them walking on it managed to turn them enough to kick the burner on. I had to pop the knobs off whenever the stove wasn't in use the last few years to be safe. The first time it happened I panicked so badly! Our new stove seems to be cat proof thankfully.

Can't explain the randomly unlocked and opened back door though. On several occasions. After I got obsessive about checking it hourly. Added a deadbolt and it stopped though!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:15 pm

I kid you not, I think I heard a knock when I was in the shower. I sleep with doors locked and with lights on. Its getting more terrifying by the day.
Crabbing for 4 years!