Chirping

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
AwesomeHermit

Chirping

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:38 am

I may or may not have found out how crabs chirp. Yesterday, I opened my lid and I heard my PP chirp. I noticed that the crab who was chirping was the only one up. I also noticed that the crab’s gills were rising up and down, and once the chirping stopped, the gills became still. I believe now that chirping has something to do with the gills.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Chirping

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:40 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:I may or may not have found out how crabs chirp. Yesterday, I opened my lid and I heard my PP chirp. I noticed that the crab who was chirping was the only one up. I also noticed that the crab’s gills were rising up and down, and once the chirping stopped, the gills became still. I believe now that chirping has something to do with the gills.

Cool.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:57 am

i wish mine did! their tank is quiet other than the occasional shell clanking against the glass. :lol:
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:45 am

When I first have the crabs, they were usually chirping at night for many consecutive days then they stopped. Not sure when they would do it again. There was another event when I was misting the tank and hit one of the crabs with the mist and he chirped too like "hey, stop it" :hlol:

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am

I don’t hear a lot of chirping, but when I do, it’s my E’s :)

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Neemie

Post by Neemie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 am

ciaraalston wrote:i wish mine did! their tank is quiet other than the occasional shell clanking against the glass. Image
Haha same!! I'll hear something I think is a chirp but in reality it's just my crabs shell on the tank wall. We'll never know :/

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:22 am

The chirping could be a special breathing technique they do. Maybe the can hold their Gill flaps closed and force air in and out. Maybe something similar to how we can cup our hands and squeeze making a squeaking noise.

Our one crab is very crabby. Whenever we pick him up he crawls into his shell, opens his claw as wide as possible and tilts it away from his shell then chirps and chirps. Unfortunately with him being in his shell we can't see how he does it.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities