Fritz RPM Salt

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
hermiwormi

Fritz RPM Salt

Post by hermiwormi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:20 pm

I was using Instant Ocean for a while in my crabs' water, but recently came across Fritz Reef Pro Mix Salt and picked some up. Has anyone used this? If so, was it a good salt to use?

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark.

piratetoothgir

Re: Fritz RPM Salt

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:51 pm

I haven’t heard of that before, not sure if it’ll be similar to Instant Ocean or not.
Personally, I only recommend Instant Ocean, or Red Sea :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 pm

stella wrote:I haven’t heard of that before, not sure if it’ll be similar to Instant Ocean or not.
Personally, I only recommend Instant Ocean, or Red Sea :)
Yeah, I haven't heard of it until recently either. The salt is a type of reef salt and it kind of reminds me of Instant Ocean reef salt.

The man I bought it from has had success with it in all of his fish and crabs he keeps in saltwater aquariums, and has had them for years.

His fish looked like they were in great shape, the tanks were incredibly clean and tidy, and he had saltwater tanks cycling because new fish were incoming.

I bought it only because I trusted him based upon his fish keeping. If it was some shady guy with filthy aquariums and dead animals, I would most definitely have turned away.

I'll try this salt out and let everyone know how it goes. I have a great feeling about this salt though.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:34 am

Id say its fine, if he has it with corals - and they look good - then its more than enough for hermies.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:33 am

I googled it and it does look like it has some fans in the reef community. Like JJ said, if it works for corals it'll work for hermits!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:23 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Id say its fine, if he has it with corals - and they look good - then its more than enough for hermies.

Indeed, the tanks did have corals that looked great

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:46 pm

hermiwormi wrote:]Indeed, the tanks did have corals that looked great

Then its more than enough. :) Corals are somewhat delicate and require very constant conditions (and nutrients) to survive. A salt mix that doesn't have all the nutrients a coral needs will no have the same nutrients that a hermie may need, supplemented though the pool.

So, if its cheaper and you personally like it more than IO (like it mixes better!), then feel free to use it.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
hermiwormi wrote:]Indeed, the tanks did have corals that looked great

Then its more than enough. :) Corals are somewhat delicate and require very constant conditions (and nutrients) to survive. A salt mix that doesn't have all the nutrients a coral needs will no have the same nutrients that a hermie may need, supplemented though the pool.

So, if its cheaper and you personally like it more than IO (like it mixes better!), then feel free to use it.

I mixed according to the instructions with a gallon and a half container and it mixed rather quickly Image