Show Me Your Water Dishes & Pools!

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:35 pm

I have two shallow dishes for the salt & freshwater, but have read that deeper dishes are preferred. I would love to see pics of your water dishes/pools for some ideas for mine. Thanks!

ciaraalston

Re: Show Me Your Water Dishes & Pools!

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:38 am

These come from Wal-Mart in the cold food section. We buy a lot of lunch meat for sandwiches and this is what they come in. So i tossed the lids, added mesh, and doubled them up! ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:41 am

ciaraalston wrote:These come from Wal-Mart in the cold food section. We buy a lot of lunch meat for sandwiches and this is what they come in. So i tossed the lids, added mesh, and doubled them up! ImageImageImage

What did you use to make the holes for the zip ties?
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:43 am

Tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me :roll:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:43 am

That was the hard part. Haha. So first I had to cut the lip of the bowl a little to fold that section up. Then I took hole punch and pushed it down to where I wanted the hole. Then I just folded the lip that I cut back down and zip tied over it.
Does that make sense?
fandt94 wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:These come from Wal-Mart in the cold food section. We buy a lot of lunch meat for sandwiches and this is what they come in. So i tossed the lids, added mesh, and doubled them up! ImageImageImage

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 am

I sent you one
fandt94 wrote:Tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me :roll:

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:45 am

ciaraalston wrote:That was the hard part. Haha. So first I had to cut the lip of the bowl a little to fold that section up. Then I took hole punch and pushed it down to where I wanted the hole. Then I just folded the lip that I cut back down and zip tied over it.
Does that make sense?
fandt94 wrote:

totally makes sense! Genius! I will have to try. I tried on a dish I had with scissors...yea no...failure.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:48 am

fandt94 wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:That was the hard part. Haha. So first I had to cut the lip of the bowl a little to fold that section up. Then I took hole punch and pushed it down to where I wanted the hole. Then I just folded the lip that I cut back down and zip tied over it.
Does that make sense?
fandt94 wrote: What did you use to make the holes for the zip ties?
totally makes sense! Genius! I will have to try. I tried on a dish I had with scissors...yea no...failure.
Haha! I actually stole the idea from @Stella Image

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:38 am

These are our newer guys coming out of the pools. The FW is the bigger pool on the left and the MSW is the smaller one on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Does that make sense?
fandt94 wrote:

Nice !!!Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Very nice and creative! The mesh is so they can easily climb out, correct?

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Kermie16 wrote:These are our newer guys coming out of the pools. The FW is the bigger pool on the left and the MSW is the smaller one on the right.

I was thinking of using rocks in mine as well. Did you glue those together in your FW one?

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Yes Image
ApePlanet wrote:

Very nice and creative! The mesh is so they can easily climb out, correct?

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:02 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
Kermie16 wrote:These are our newer guys coming out of the pools. The FW is the bigger pool on the left and the MSW is the smaller one on the right.

I was thinking of using rocks in mine as well. Did you glue those together in your FW one?
Yep! Aquarium safe silicone :)

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:02 pm

I am trying out the lunch meat container idea. I also picked up some mesh fabric from Walmart today. When the woman asked what I was buying the fabric for we engaged in a conversation about hermit crabs because her grandson has one and I think I enlightened her about what the crab shops never tell you about caring for them.

I’d post a pic but I’m still trying to figure out how to post one from my phone.

UPDATE: I downloaded the Tapatalk app and now know how to add an image.

I definitely want to try the double container method. It’s a start but I have some refining to do.

Last edited by LeeHasCrabs on Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.