Hermit Crab Saltwater Help

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
Oswin

Hermit Crab Saltwater Help

Post by Oswin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Is the CC Pet Hermit Crab Saltwater sold in bottles at the store good for my crabs' saltwater dish? I have a tub of salt from the previous owner but it's nondescript and has no instructions. I don't feel comfortable using it. They said it was marine salt but I don't know the brand or measurements. The bottled saltwater is cheap and I can pick some up today.

EDIT: I just checked online and the store does not have them in stock. Last night for saltwater I took a teaspoon of salt and dissolved it in a cup of water. Does anyone know how much I should use? It looks like it got wet so it's a soft mass of salt.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit Crab Saltwater Help

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Hello. No, I'm sorry. The hermit crab saltwater is not sufficient. You need marine saltwater. Products such as Instant Ocean, Red Sea are recommended. You want products that are sold for making a saltwater fish tank. If your local pet store doesn't carry it, you might need to order it off of Amazon. You can purchase a small box for $8 to $9 and it will make 10 gallons.

Regular salt does not work. Neither does API Aquarium Salt. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Oswin

Post by Oswin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello. No, I'm sorry. The hermit crab saltwater is not sufficient. You need marine saltwater. Products such as Instant Ocean, Red Sea are recommended. You want products that are sold for making a saltwater fish tank. If your local pet store doesn't carry it, you might need to order it off of Amazon. You can purchase a small box for $8 to $9 and it will make 10 gallons.

Regular salt does not work. Neither does API Aquarium Salt. :)
I think that might be what is in the small container the original owners gave me that they said was marine salt. I don't know the measurements though. I need to have something because I don't get paid for two weeks and that's when I'll be ordering all the crab stuff.

I also only have one local fish store and they don't always have a large selection of supplies, so I'll be ordering online most likely.

I was aware regular salt and API didn't work. I've seen YouTube videos and had people recommend me the hermit saltwater but wanted to make sure. Thanks for informing me. I'll be getting some actual salt but like I said above I need to do something for now.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:49 pm

IF it is Instant Ocean, the correct measurement is 1 Tablespoon in 2 cups of dechlorinated water. I am not 100% certain if Red Sea is the same or not. Somewhere on this site, probably in the FAQ and care sheet section, you can find the measurements. I have slow internet right now and it won't let me search!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Nope, the bottled saltwater is just another pet store marketing scheme. You can order Marine salt online, visit a pet store, or for a higher chance of getting a Marine salt for saltwater aquariums, visit a local fish/aquarium supply store!

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:17 pm

Pretty much anything sold for saltwater fish is the right stuff. There are a ton of brands and most petshops will carry something!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram