How long underwater?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Kermie16

How long underwater?

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Went to PetSmart to pick up some more Instant Ocean and turned out they just got a new shipment of crabs in so we tried to save some and add to our tank . We ended up with 3 total. This little guy was active in the store and maybe only 1 cm in size so we went ahead and got him with 2 other small mediums. Since we got him he has not moved. We just all of the crabs in the FW pool and he has stayed like this for a full 20+ mins. Advice? How long can some of the hermies stay in the pools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

piratetoothgir

Re: How long underwater?

Post by piratetoothgir » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:55 pm

My E did this when I bought him, they are probably deprived of proper food and water source from shipment to the store. They can stay underwater properly for up to an hour, possibly even longer. I haven’t ever had a crab stay under that long.

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:52 pm

It’s been a little over an hour and the little guy has not even moved a leg. I have taken him out and put him in a separate container. He is completely flaccid

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:06 pm

I took Larry out of the FW. Still no response and flaccid. I moved his legs and pinchers, I got nothing. But I feel like it’s too early to give up so I made a little iso with a spare Tupperware I had, put some sub in there, a shell of FW and a shell with organic raw honey. Any further advice is appreciated! Thank you!

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Knowing the conditions the crabs were in before they got to your home, the poor thing probably is totally and utterly exhausted, hopefully. Continue to hope, wait, and see. Best of luck and great job helping those crabs

5 PPs: Koa, Moja, Siam, Chella, and Ozark.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Oh no! Hope he pulls through!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:32 am

I wish you the best of luck!!! <3
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:33 am

Thanks guys! So far nothing has changed. He hasn’t moved or changed positions really since we took him out of the tank from Petsmart :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Usually when they are really active in the store they are already in distress.

I hope that the little guy makes it. He looks so tiny. HUGS! I think you are doing everything you can do for him!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:50 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Usually when they are really active in the store they are already in distress.

I hope that the little guy makes it. He looks so tiny. HUGS! I think you are doing everything you can do for him!
Thank you!