Sterilite Containers as Crabitat?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Sterilite Containers as Crabitat?

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:13 pm

It looks like we are not going to be able to find anyone to move our 90g.

So, I'm considering alternatives. I have a bunch of these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-95 ... t/22582945

Which I bought for the move. First question: is it safe to use these as a crabitat--because when they first came, they really stank inside, like a nasty chemical smell. But I left them outside, open, for a few days, until the smell was gone. So, can these safely be used as a crabitat?

Second question: if it is okay to use them, I figure I can put about a foot of substrate in them, leaving not very much climbing room (but our three crabs are jumbos, so they need deep substrate--really more than a foot, but that's probably all we can do in these containers). And I think our bubble pools will be fine in there, and will likely (between that and the moist substrate) be fine for humidity. What I'm not sure about is whether and how they can be safely HEATED? Has anybody used these containers as crabitats, and if so, how did you keep them warm enough?

Any and all ideas welcome. If these are not safe to use, any other suggestions for cheap, easy-to-move housing much appreciated. They may have to live in them for some time, until we can find another cheap or free 90g, so it needs to be at least "long-term temporary" or "semi-permanent" housing.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sterilite Containers as Crabitat?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Hello :) You don't have anyone from your work, neighbor, church, teenagers in your neighborhood that can help you move your tank? Perhaps you could call local high school or church youth group and see if there is a local group trying to earn money for something? Just suggestions -

I think the totes will work temporarily - but if you truly have jumbos, they will need larger to thrive. I'm pretty sure they can be heated. You would just need to use real ultratherms. I wouldn't use Zoo Meds on them.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53 am

We are moving to another state. None of the moving companies will move an aquarium. :(

Yes, I certainly won't keep these big guys in totes any longer than I have to. In fact, before the move, I was considering how to add a topper to the 90g to give them even deeper substrate and more climbing room. But that all pretty much went "out the window" for now. . .

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:10 am

Understandable - it's probably too risky - chances that it will break. Well, list it for sale - 5miles, OfferUp, LetGo, Craigslist - this way you can put the money towards a new one when you get to your new location.

Best wishes!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Excellent idea. In the meantime, I still need to figure out how to get them moved and in some kind of "long-term temporary housing." :?

― G.K. Chesterton

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:57 pm

And by "new" I meant a "new" one to you! :)

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks GotButterflies!

Anybody else have any experience with Sterilite containers?

― G.K. Chesterton

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:45 pm

I used one on Day 1 of my crabbing adventures. Our first crabs lived and molted in a 30 something gallon plastic clear tote with lid. I moved them into a 55 as they came up but I want to say they spent about 9 weeks under in eco earth and green crayola brand playsand. (That was all the store had that day.)

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:14 am

I plan on using 2 50 gallon containers for a permanent housing. The bottom will be full of substrate and the top will have their water bowls, shell shops, etc. Mine aren't jumbo, but that might work for yours? at least until you're able to find another tank maybe..

Why wouldn't the moving company move the aquarium? I would think that if you're willing to take the risk of it breaking during the move, they should move it. When my parents moved with their tank, my mom packed all the towels and clothes into the tank to cushion it and wrapped it with bubble wrap. But that was back in the day, maybe rules have changed.....

EDITED TO ADD: here's the link to my thread about it, with more details in case you decide to go that route....
https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 9&t=118194
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:08 pm

How do you plan to heat it? Or are you far enough south that that is not much of a problem?

― G.K. Chesterton

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:09 pm

DragonsFly wrote:How do you plan to heat it? Or are you far enough south that that is not much of a problem?
I have heat tape to wrap around it, and I'll insulate with reflectix.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:00 pm

ciaraalston wrote:I plan on using 2 50 gallon containers for a permanent housing. The bottom will be full of substrate and the top will have their water bowls, shell shops, etc. Mine aren't jumbo, but that might work for yours? at least until you're able to find another tank maybe..

Why wouldn't the moving company move the aquarium? I would think that if you're willing to take the risk of it breaking during the move, they should move it. When my parents moved with their tank, my mom packed all the towels and clothes into the tank to cushion it and wrapped it with bubble wrap. But that was back in the day, maybe rules have changed.....

EDITED TO ADD: here's the link to my thread about it, with more details in case you decide to go that route....
Thanks so much! Very helpful! :clap:

The moving companies did not give a reason, they just said they "don't do aquariums." This was even after I explained that there would not be any water or animals in the aquarium while it was moved. I think it's just too likely to break, and too expensive to replace if it does. :(

― G.K. Chesterton

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 pm

DragonsFly wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:I plan on using 2 50 gallon containers for a permanent housing. The bottom will be full of substrate and the top will have their water bowls, shell shops, etc. Mine aren't jumbo, but that might work for yours? at least until you're able to find another tank maybe..

Thanks so much! Very helpful! :clap:

The moving companies did not give a reason, they just said they "don't do aquariums." This was even after I explained that there would not be any water or animals in the aquarium while it was moved. I think it's just too likely to break, and too expensive to replace if it does. :(
Awe.... I'm sorry! :(
I hope the tote info helped!

Topic author
DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:29 am

ciaraalston wrote:
DragonsFly wrote:How do you plan to heat it? Or are you far enough south that that is not much of a problem?

Thanks again--what is heat tape, and how does it work? I've only ever used lamps and/or UTH's (on the side of the tank) for temp.

― G.K. Chesterton

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 am

DragonsFly wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:

Thanks again--what is heat tape, and how does it work? I've only ever used lamps and/or UTH's (on the side of the tank) for temp.
Reptilebasics has heat tape, which is a UTH without the extra insulation. You attach it with tape, and you can remove it as many times as needed, just like an ultratherm. It just doesn't have that extra padding.