Crab specification?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Crab specification?

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:26 am

I don't think it's particularly related, but I've had my crabs for a little more then a month now! ( from what I presume is 3 purple pinchers, 1 large and 2 mediums- no names yet. plan to get a blueberry soon! ) However, one of the mediums, the female to exact I've always been unsure of, while there's some faint similarities to purple pinchers, I'm not sure if it is one, or if it could maybe be a viola? She's largely a lavender/lilaic color, and the legs only bear the slightest of red ( which is more of a soft pink ) with orange-yellow transitions. the other two I have are much bolder colors typically found in your PPs.

I apologize for the bad image quality.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 180747.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 180748.jpg

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 80747a.jpg

While it's probably a PP, I was wondering if it's not the case?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crab specification?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:14 am

The pics are a little blurry, but yeah. Thats a PP.

(Where do you plan to get the blueberry from? I thought that Japan has still a ban on the export of blueberries...? (C. lila is the new 'discovered' species, previously considered under the bracket of a blueberry)).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:21 pm

http://livehermitcrabs.com/drylahecr.html

I've heard from a few sources that this is a rather reliable supplier and have seen people buying strawberries from here, they have a facility in new york.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:33 pm

Oooh you need to check the stickied topic on them in DIY. No one has received a crab from them in a couple of years. Everyone had to request a refund from their credit card company because there is zero communication!

Blueberries haven't been available in the US in several years from any source.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Alright, thank you!

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:13 pm

To add on, I do appreciate the warning. Is there any source as of right now where you can get exotics in general?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Xenpurgisnachtt wrote:http://livehermitcrabs.com/drylahecr.html

I've heard from a few sources that this is a rather reliable supplier and have seen people buying strawberries from here, they have a facility in new york.
Never ever buy from this vendor. We have a several hundred page thread here with terrible reviews.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Xenpurgisnachtt wrote:To add on, I do appreciate the warning. Is there any source as of right now where you can get exotics in general?
No.

You may be able to find E's at Petco stores if you are in the U.S.

I do not purchase crabs at all, and have adopted/fostered over 100 PP's in the last 4 years. It took me 3 years to come across adoptable strawberries in the huge metroplex I live in and I've met one other local crabber who had a viola and straws.

My personal opinion is that people go to extremes to get "exotic" hermit crabs because they're harder to get, and while they are fun to look at, it's become somewhat of a status symbol among crabbers nowadays to have them. They just want them to show off to groups.

There are no reputable vendors of "exotic" land hermit crabs online that I am aware of. Some are banned in many groups because of their practices.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:56 am

Thank you! You folks really saved me from doing a big newbie mistake, personally, I was wanting an exotic to round off my 20 gal that would've been something new. I live in North Carolina and to be fair, I really think most people here think there's only one type of hermit crab ( PP's ) and even then don't even know that's the proper name! I think my grandparents only genuinely knew that there was other hermit crab species when I brought up blueberries originally to them

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:50 pm

There are still some exotics that are brought in for small distributors that sell to mom & pop pet shops, but they are not labeled as anything special. I got my ruggie a few years ago from one, they had ordered "natural shell hermit crabs" from their fish vendor. They knew about the different species but the Rugs so looked like Es that they didn't notice until all but one had sold! I'm staring at this odd crab that was staring at me at checkout and I'm like wait a minute... I was there weekly and had walked right by them for months. I was kicking myself! Some people have found Violas this way as well.

There is at least one mail order company that does Strawberries. However, shipping is rough and they don't always make it. Even if they do, Straws live only 2 to 4 years in captivity.

Es are pretty common these days, at small pet stores and from Petco.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:56 pm

I have been very happy with my two PP's. I got them off a buy and sell page for the nearest city, the people who had them before really had no idea about proper care. Thanks to this site, Sonny and Cher have been alive and healthy for 8 years with me now! As someone who was just starting crabbing, I had no idea about different species, but I am actually thankful that I got the 'easiest' ones to care for without even knowing it!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Actually some good news I suppose, I found a Petco not incredibly far from where I live, I gave them a call and apparently they update their hermit crab stocks once a week, so I think there might be a fair chance to find some E's if that's the case.

tonycoenobita

Post by tonycoenobita » Tue May 19, 2020 12:14 am

Tony

Land Hermit Crab Species Introduction:
www.tonycoenobita.com/species_eng.htm

Crabbing since 2000