I need help

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

I need help

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:22 pm

So hello everybody. I love all animals and hate to see them miss treated.So a few days ago me and my Mom went to walmart and we were in a rush but I asked my Mom if I could look at the fake plants and stuff, so I go to look and right next to the plants is the betta fish in their cups,and I see the dirtiest cup ever with a poor red and black crown tail betta fish. My heart was filled with sadness about to burst into tears because there was no way I was going to leave this poor thing behind.(I love fish but because if one drop of water touched the floor it would kill the flooring so that is why I don't have fish and was why I was really upset about this) I showed my Mom the fish and asked her if I could rescue the fish she said YES!!! After we got the stuff for the fish in the cart I picked up the cup and sadly he was already dead. This broke my heart. So we went home without the fish and I could not stop think about him and seeing his sad dead face. I also kept second guessing myself if he was really dead because I looked so quickly ,and finely I just bursted into tears. So me and my Mom went back and he was dead.but what was so wierd the first time we went was in the morning and the second time in the afternoon ish.The first time he was on the shelf but the second time he was at the sink were they do fish stuff but next to him was another dead crown tail betta fish ,which was also in a dirty cup. I forgot to say this before but the dirty cups had more water then the clean cups which means some one added water to the dirty water,and did not properly clean the cups out so this all could have been prevented if who ever filled the cups dumped out the old water. Sadly I know this is going to happen again and I want to take great action. So I am asking for advice what would you do and what would you want to do? I do plan on joining a betta fish forum but I want to everything that I can do to help prevent this from happening again.Thank you.
My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I need help

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm

I'm so sorry that you experienced this. Speak to the manager of the Walmart. :) I would also write a letter. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I'm so sorry that you experienced this. Speak to the manager of the Walmart. :) I would also write a letter. :)
Thank you!I would have done it that day but I probably would have lost my cool.
My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Calmer heads prevail! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:30 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Calmer heads prevail! :)
Agreed.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:45 pm

I took my time and wrote a letter to my local Walmart several years ago about the treatment of the fiddler crabs in cups there. They called to follow up and get more info and generally seemed to want to learn more. I noticed after they had implemented some of the changes I suggested which were really wonderful.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that they are a store and they need to make money without spending much time on things Just being upset with the conditions won't be enough. Bad employees should be called out for not following the rules, but if you can come up with ideas to make the rules easier or better, or new rules entirely to improve the situation, they will listen!

In the case of the fids, I had recommended they change the water to keep it from stinking (a sales bonus) but it also kept the water clean for the fids and prevented bacterial and fungal infections which they didn't really care about. I had also recommended that they be careful to not waste food, as someone was drastically overfeeding to where there were heaps of rotting food. Just those two changes and they sold faster and with less deaths, and one didn't take any extra time and also saved the store money on food.

(I also had my husband sign the letter. Men get taken more seriously because they rarely ever voice an opinion by letter and because they are men. :rolleyes: )
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:06 pm

wodesorel wrote:(I also had my husband sign the letter. Men get taken more seriously because they rarely ever voice an opinion by letter and because they are men. :rolleyes: )
Urg. This is pretty much all I saw, and I really dont like it. Its the 21st century, hearing things like this of gender inequality really gets me up the wall. :( It's sad that a man is listened to more than a female... regardless of original intent.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:16 am

Good points Wodesorel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:27 pm

[quote="wodesorel"]I took my time and wrote a letter to my local Walmart several years ago about the treatment of the fiddler crabs in cups there. They called to follow up and get more info and generally seemed to want to learn more. I noticed after they had implemented some of the changes I suggested which were really wonderful.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that they are a store and they need to make money without spending much time on things Just being upset with the conditions won't be enough. Bad employees should be called out for not following the rules, but if you can come up with ideas to make the rules easier or better, or new rules entirely to improve the situation, they will listen!

In the case of the fids, I had recommended they change the water to keep it from stinking (a sales bonus) but it also kept the water clean for the fids and prevented bacterial and fungal infections which they didn't really care about. I had also recommended that they be careful to not waste food, as someone was drastically overfeeding to where there were heaps of rotting food. Just those two changes and they sold faster and with less deaths, and one didn't take any extra time and also saved the store money on food.

(I also had my husband sign the letter. Men get taken more seriously because they rarely ever voice an opinion by letter and because they are men. :rolleyes: )[/quote Thank you so much! I will do this and more. Today I did go back to walmart and there was one betta fish left and it was one of the betta fish left and it was one that next to the dead one last time. The poor baby was in a super dirty cup it it was shocking how much his color faded in four days,and it looked like he was getting mouth rot it was so sad.We did talk to managers ,and the first person we talked basicly threw the fish aside but we did talk to another manager who seemed more wanting to do something.