New hermie not responding

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Kermie16

New hermie not responding

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Hey guys! I already posted this in another feed here but thought maybe it would be more appropriate as an emergency. So I already have an established colony of 4 hermies for over a year and possibly 2 years now (I’ve lost count), all have molted numerous times. Went out to Petsmart this evening because I had just found out that I had run out of Instant Ocean to change out my crab pools and of course they just got a new shipment of little hermies in (6 brought in today). So I picked 3 - all seemed active at the time. The smallest not as active as the other 2 but hid in his shell when we went to pick him up. We brought them all home and gave them a dip in the FW pool. All but 1 climbed out. This little guy didn’t budge for over an hour.
I picked him back up, he is completely flaccid and non responsive. I played with his pinchers and got nothing. I wasn’t quite sure what to do so I went ahead an made him a little iso with a Tupperware I had that could fit in my tank. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Inside the Tupperware is a some sub from the main tank, a shell with FW and another with organic raw honey.
Tank specifications:
55g with 20g long tall topper
Sub is mixed with play sand and EE 50-50 and about 13 inches deep.
FW with Seachem Prime
MSW with Instant Ocean
Hygrometer / thermometer is digital
Humidity at 97%
Temp at 80 deg
No other changes to tank and no pesticides or chemical exposures.
Foods : all organic fresh foods and also dried foods (proteins, veggies, flowers) from hermies kitchen, crabotanicals, and claw of the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: New hermie not responding

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:52 am

It sounds like you're doing everything ok. Sometimes, even if we give them perfect conditions, they can't overcome PPS. They go through so much before they get to us. But for future reference, when introducing new crabs, just a quick dip in the pool is sufficient.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:It sounds like you're doing everything ok. Sometimes, even if we give them perfect conditions, they can't overcome PPS. They go through so much before they get to us. But for future reference, when introducing new crabs, just a quick dip in the pool is sufficient.
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I will keep him in iso and hope for the best but I am preparing for the worst Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Totally agree with Hermiesguardian.

Good luck! I mentioned this in the other post, but usually when they are active in the store they are already in distress. Best wishes! HUGS!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:48 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Totally agree with Hermiesguardian.

Good luck! I mentioned this in the other post, but usually when they are active in the store they are already in distress. Best wishes! HUGS!
Thank you!! Nothing has changed since last night :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:11 pm

I’m sorry!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:40 am

Just a quick update, Larry has passed on Thank you all for your advice and support! RIP Larry[HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Kermie16 wrote:Just a quick update, Larry has passed on Image Thank you all for your advice and support! RIP Larry[HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

Oh no, I’m so very sorry! At least he passed in a beautiful environment :(
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:57 pm

fandt94 wrote:
Kermie16 wrote:Just a quick update, Larry has passed on Image Thank you all for your advice and support! RIP Larry[HEAVY BLACK HEART]️

Oh no, I’m so very sorry! At least he passed in a beautiful environment :(
Thank you:(

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:08 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->