Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Kermie16

Re: Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

Post by Kermie16 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:52 am

WOW, @mlakers!!! I have been trying to catch up on many feeds and just found yours. HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your crab babies!!!! They are looking good and you are doing an awesome job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 pm

Just saw your website, such an amazing job! I really admire everyone who is attempting to raise baby hermits. Thank you so much for sharing your incredible work.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:48 pm

It's so exciting!! She is doing an awesome job!! Go Mary!!! We are all rooting for you!!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:59 pm

I just read your entire blog on this year's attempt, your documentation, photo, video, all terrific. All y'all who attempt this are heroic! Hang in there. Wish I could bottle some energy and send it!

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks so much, everyone! It's really hard keeping up the daily news, but today, Day 24, I have a MEGALOPA!! So adorable. All gangly legs and claws--doesn't know whether to walk or swim. I started crying and shaking when I saw him, hardly dared to believe it. I have a video up on YouTube, but my home internet is acting up so I'm having trouble accessing it. I promise to share it here when I can. Meanwhile...MEGALOPA!!

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:49 pm

https://youtu.be/Rzd8W90j6Sk

Right near the end of the video, when he rights himself and turns to look right at me, with eyes so much wider apart than the stage five zoeae, THAT'S when I started crying. :D

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Absolutely amazing! Congratulations! I can’t imagine what that must feel like. They are so precious!

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Goodness me you are doing really well. Keep on doing what you are doing. Soon you will be advising all the rest of us who have been lucky enough to raise a couple of babies.
Must chat with you about what you are feeding.

Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:46 pm

That is AWESOME!!!! So cool to see!!!! Congratulations!!!!! Hopefully many more will get to that stage and pick shells!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Great work! Congrats!
:cheer:

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Day Thirty.

Was gone for three days to attend the grand opening of my daughter's new business. My 22-year-old son was put in charge. He knows how important this is too me so agreed to do feeding and water changes. Unfortunately, he isn't as fanatical as I am, so there were losses, but I still have around fifty, probably five at megalopa stage at this time, but most of the earlier megalopa died. I'm not sure what they need that they aren't getting. Trying not to get obsessive and discouraged. Will reassess tomorrow.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:16 pm

mlakers wrote: Day Thirty.

Was gone for three days to attend the grand opening of my daughter's new business. My 22-year-old son was put in charge. He knows how important this is too me so agreed to do feeding and water changes. Unfortunately, he isn't as fanatical as I am, so there were losses, but I still have around fifty, probably five at megalopa stage at this time, but most of the earlier megalopa died. I'm not sure what they need that they aren't getting. Trying not to get obsessive and discouraged. Will reassess tomorrow.
You are still doing fabulous and you need a break too! Congratulations on your daughters new business!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:57 am

Thank you, fandt94. I'm really struggling with doubts today. Another one of those days in the process when I keep thinking, "Why did I ever think I could do this??" Ugh. I just need to keep trying. One foot in front of the other.

My daughter's new business is wonderful. She opened a board game cafe in Troy, N.Y. They had an amazing turnout on opening night. Standing room only and they got so backed up I had to work as a runner getting food to the tables. :D

naalide

Post by naalide » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:56 pm

A bit late, but congratulations for megalopa-stage! :clap:
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Thank you, naalide! And thank you for the extra information, too. Very helpful. :D