I redesigned the 30 gallon tank today!

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
Xenocrab

Re: I redesigned the 30 gallon tank today!

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:09 pm

We went to a store called "That Fish Place" in Lancaster. We traveled about 2 hours since we live in central PA. They have all size tanks and matching sized lids. Look at their site on line. It's a ginormous store. We get a lot of our supplies there for much cheaper than pet stores like Pet Co and Pet Smart.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 pm

That Fish Place, That Pet Place is awesome! Without exaggerating their showroom area is easily the size of 5-6 PetSmarts. That doesn't even include their reptile, amphibian room, or their fish room! We easily end up spending 2 hours each time we visit! They even have a sting ray petting area! I must say that they actually have one of the better hermit crab enclosures too. They are listed in the HCA's links section too. I did a store review on here a few months ago with a few pictures.

Here is a quick link to their canopies and glass tops.

https://www.thatpetplace.com/aquarium-s ... s-canopies
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Motörcrab wrote:That Fish Place, That Pet Place is awesome! Without exaggerating their showroom area is easily the size of 5-6 PetSmarts. That doesn't even include their reptile, amphibian room, or their fish room! We easily end up spending 2 hours each time we visit! They even have a sting ray petting area! I must say that they actually have one of the better hermit crab enclosures too. They are listed in the HCA's links section too. I did a store review on here a few months ago with a few pictures.

Here is a quick link to their canopies and glass tops.

https://www.thatpetplace.com/aquarium-s ... s-canopies
I need to make a roadtrip someday... definitely before I set up my 55.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:05 am

Does anyone know where you can get a clear or natural color hamster wheel? Most I see are purple, green, or red. Thanks!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:26 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Does anyone know where you can get a clear or natural color hamster wheel? Most I see are purple, green, or red. Thanks!
Search eBay for “clear hamster wheel”, the only ones I could find were in China. It had a metal nut on the back of it where it attaches to the stand, I’m not sure how it would be with the humidity. Unless someone else has seen a better one, that’s what I found with a quick internet search. Internet search works for everything. Image

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:33 pm

I bought the water dishes at the dollar tree. I used plastic craft mesh and zip ties so they could walk in and out safely. I put double dishes in so i can take the top one out to clean and fill without disturbing the sand and crabs below.
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

jstein

Post by jstein » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Bought a new tank - 20 gal long - got lid ordered from that fish place - this tank was really dirty - housed turtles and then left outside - I’ve cleaned it up, what is the best way to sterilize or what should I use to do a final wipe down before I transfer? Also I would be happy for any suggestions for homemade crab stuff - ways for them to crawl up to another level. I’m super excited about starting my bigger tank which means I can add another crab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstein

Post by jstein » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:31 pm

Image. Do I have too many shells in the tank? All 3 of my crabs are completely different sizes

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:09 pm

jstein wrote:Image. Do I have too many shells in the tank? All 3 of my crabs are completely different sizes
Very cool! I never know about how many shells I should put in either or if I should put them on the floor or in a shell shop. Mine are in a second level shell shop now.