Leaf litter

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
elly_bananas

Leaf litter

Post by elly_bananas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Like most people, i have a yard full of maple leaves and wanted to stuff in some leaf litter in the tank with some fallen branches. What temp should i bake these things to make them safe for my guys?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

AgentK25

Re: Leaf litter

Post by AgentK25 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:17 pm

I baked mine for 20 minutes at 200F. Watch closely so nothing starts burning. Haven't had any bugs or mold after baking like this. Nor has anything started to burn.
Devoted Mom to 1 macaw, 1 cat, and 9 PPs

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:49 pm

AgentK25 wrote:I baked mine for 20 minutes at 200F. Watch closely so nothing starts burning. Haven't had any bugs or mold after baking like this. Nor has anything started to burn.
Right on! Thanks!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:19 pm

I bake leaf litter at 250 for 10 minutes with the door cracked. :) Just a reminder bc everyone reads these posts - leaf litter should be organic - no pesticides or fertilizers. If your lawn gets sprayed your trees do too!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:52 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I bake leaf litter at 250 for 10 minutes with the door cracked. :) Just a reminder bc everyone reads these posts - leaf litter should be organic - no pesticides or fertilizers. If your lawn gets sprayed your trees do too!
Thanks GB!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:35 pm

Hmmm...I didn't bake mine at all. I picked the leaves off the branches after they had died this fall - so they were pretty dry already. Then I just left them in a big shallow container to fully dry, and crunched them up into a big Ziploc bag. Is there an advantage to baking them, other than just to dry them?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:30 pm

curlysister wrote:Hmmm...I didn't bake mine at all. I picked the leaves off the branches after they had died this fall - so they were pretty dry already. Then I just left them in a big shallow container to fully dry, and crunched them up into a big Ziploc bag. Is there an advantage to baking them, other than just to dry them?
I believe baking kills off any insects or things you DONT see.. that way you have a minimal chance of bringing things into your tank environment. Plus it would kill bacteria. Idk. Just follow suit since im still learning. Tbh, i dont REALLY get it, since in the wild theres noone to bake things for them. But id hate to have something i cant see like mites or other things invade my tank and harm my guys.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:24 pm

I just freeze leaf litter for a couple of days.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:31 pm

elly_bananas wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:I bake leaf litter at 250 for 10 minutes with the door cracked. :) Just a reminder bc everyone reads these posts - leaf litter should be organic - no pesticides or fertilizers. If your lawn gets sprayed your trees do too!
Thanks GB!

Yw! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Oh okay, I put mine in the freezer to store it, so that would probably kill off anything nasty.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:35 pm

About 40 seconds in the microwave works, too. I place them on a plate, sandwiched between two paper towels and that helps to absorb the moisture. Then let them air dry for a few minutes. If they are still not completely dried out, you can give them 20-30 additional seconds.