New to hermit crabs, help?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Spicecookie

New to hermit crabs, help?

Post by Spicecookie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Hello! I'm a new hermit crab owner and we just got our two crabs a few days ago while on vacation.

We got them with the starter kit that comes in a tiny critter cage, and I did research afterwards so I now know they need a bigger tank, deeper substrate, humidity and heat, and other stuff. One of them is in a painted shell so we ordered natural shells. I've put sand in there to replace the neon gravel but it's definitely not deep enough (it's only 1-2 inches), and I've been feeding them natural food along with the hermit crab food the starter kit came with. There's a water bowl but no saltwater bowl, and I've added a cave/shelter thing but no play things because there's not enough room.

The problem is that my parents won't let me buy supplies for them until the weekend, which is a few days away, and the new shells come on Monday. So right now they're stuck in a small cage where humidity gets out easily and not deep enough substrate, and one of them has a painted shell with no other options. My hermit crabs haven't moved much in two days and my parents think they're going to die. I'm worried about whether they'll be fine or not until then. Any advice on how to improve their habitat without stressing them out more?
Last edited by Spicecookie on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiNiKy506

Re: New to hermit crabs, help?

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Welcome to HCA, everyone is so helpful and there is so much information here to help you. Where are you from? They are probably cold so they will be less active. I think they will be ok until this weekend but someone with more experience than me will probably be able to help you better than I can. You seem like you know what direction you want to go in with them, better tank, more substrate.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
Spicecookie

Post by Spicecookie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:17 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:Welcome to HCA, everyone is so helpful and there is so much information here to help you. Where are you from? They are probably cold so they will be less active. I think they will be ok until this weekend but someone with more experience than me will probably be able to help you better than I can. You seem like you know what direction you want to go in with them, better tank, more substrate.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->
Thank you! I'm from Alabama. It's getting kind of cold here but I have a heat lamp above them so their area never drops below 70 degrees and normally stays about 72-77.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:13 pm

To get some humidity going you can first Saran Wrap the lid and then lightly mist inside the tank. I believe someone on here also said you can wet a washcloth, wring it out and put that inside with them. We started out the same as you, with just a critter cage they came in.

Welcome!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
Spicecookie

Post by Spicecookie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:26 pm

fandt94 wrote:To get some humidity going you can first Saran Wrap the lid and then lightly mist inside the tank. I believe someone on here also said you can wet a washcloth, wring it out and put that inside with them. We started out the same as you, with just a critter cage they came in.

Welcome!
Thank you!! I think I'll try covering the lid and misting. Will covering the air slots stop the air circulation so that they won't be able to breathe, or do I just need to keep the humidity up?

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:35 pm

Spicecookie wrote:
fandt94 wrote:To get some humidity going you can first Saran Wrap the lid and then lightly mist inside the tank. I believe someone on here also said you can wet a washcloth, wring it out and put that inside with them. We started out the same as you, with just a critter cage they came in.

Welcome!
Thank you!! I think I'll try covering the lid and misting. Will covering the air slots stop the air circulation so that they won't be able to breathe, or do I just need to keep the humidity up?
They’ll get enough air circulation when you open it up and change food Image hermit crabs breathe with modified gills so you definitely want to keep the humidity up so they aren’t slowly suffocating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Spicecookie

Post by Spicecookie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:48 pm

ha_haley wrote:
Spicecookie wrote:

Welcome!
They’ll get enough air circulation when you open it up and change food Image hermit crabs breathe with modified gills so you definitely want to keep the humidity up so they aren’t slowly suffocating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks! :)

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Welcome aboard. Everything everyone said are great things to try until you can get a proper set up. You can even move them into the bathroom. From everyone taking showers that will help with humidity. At least for a few hours every day. Make sure if you have plastic wrap on their tote to remove it while in the bathroom. The only thing I would caution you with is not use any sprays after someone uses the toilet while the crabs are in there. They are very sensitive when it comes to cleaners and other types of vapors. They tend to like stinky foods so i'm sure they wouldn't mind!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Spicecookie

Post by Spicecookie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Motörcrab wrote:Welcome aboard. Everything everyone said are great things to try until you can get a proper set up. You can even move them into the bathroom. From everyone taking showers that will help with humidity. At least for a few hours every day. Make sure if you have plastic wrap on their tote to remove it while in the bathroom. The only thing I would caution you with is not use any sprays after someone uses the toilet while the crabs are in there. They are very sensitive when it comes to cleaners and other types of vapors. They tend to like stinky foods so i'm sure they wouldn't mind!
Thanks for the tips! It's been a lot easier keeping the humidity up after wrapping the lid but I might give the bathroom thing a try. :D