3-5 Shells Per Crab question

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
crabby33

3-5 Shells Per Crab question

Post by crabby33 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:03 pm

I have two crabs and the recommended number of shells is 3-5 for both. So how many would that equal to? I want to make sure I have the recommended amount.

Motörcrab

Re: 3-5 Shells Per Crab question

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:36 pm

I find the numbers a bit misleading. If you have say 5 crabs that would be 15-25 total per recommendations. I find that to be a little high since a crab can only be in one shell at a time. If they switch, their old shell is avaliable too. If both your crabs are the same size I would say 8 shells would be a safe number to start with. The problem is you can have 30 shells for them to pick from and they may not like any. Or they may fight over a single shell. The more shells and variety they can choose from the better the chance of them choosing one they like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:07 pm

Yes, they are both the same size. They’re medium crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:59 pm

I would probably order a minimum of 3-4 different types of shells. Then two sizes per type. I generally order my shells in steps of 1/8". I always figure if you have to pay for shipping you may as well place a larger order so you don't need make another small order in a week or two and pay shipping again. That second shipping fee could easily be an extra 3-4 shells or more depending on size.

Last time when I ordered shells from ebay I think I ordered around 25-30 shells for 8 crabs. About 10 of them were too small for my guys so my wife ended up getting them for hers. I still have 6 I never put in the tank. Out of the 10 or so I put in the tank, plus I already had 8 or more shells shells in there, I think only half of my guys changed into new shells. I still have 2 guys that won't give up the beat up shells they came in.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:47 pm

I consider shells like I consider tank space...the more the better. I believe the 3-5 shells is a per crab guideline (at least that's how I read it) and if you can afford to buy more, and have the space to accommodate them, the more the merrier. :)

ETA: I have as many shells as I can in each crabitat because I feel like it lessens my chances of shell aggression.
Devoted Mom to 1 macaw, 1 cat, and 9 PPs

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:54 pm

I’ve lost count at how many shells I have in the tank at any given time lol....today my one crab literally tried out 5 different shells only to end up back in the original one he chose a week ago haha!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:20 am

Out of my 6 crabs.. 2 are about the same size, so i keep about 5 shells of their size in the tank. They like to swap a lot, but they always go back to their originals.
2 of them are tiny, exact same size. They're ecuadorians. So i keep about 5 for them to choose from.
The other 2 are in medium sized. 1 likes murex shells, which isn't normal for a PP. so i keep 2 in for him, those are the only ones i have. and the other 1 i have 3 shells his size. so total i probably have 15 shells in their shell shop. it's a plastic pencil case, so there's plenty of space.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:57 am

Remember, you certainly dont have to offer all shells in one go and do a weekly rotation. The guide is in place in order to help reduce the potential of a shell fight from occurring - since even if you may offer the correct shells, some times they not 'suitable'... - things like its thicker (heavier) than usual, may not be smooth on the inside, sits wrong or just not what the crabs want... adding choice helps minimize it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:46 pm

Also try to remember crabs are going to go in there when you aren't watching too. I have soo many shells it isn't even funny. I keep my baskets full all of the time in every one of my tanks. It never hurts to add a couple of shells every day or every other day if you have the ability too. Keep it interesting. I like to think of it as enriching their environment. :) Try to get enough shells so that you can switch them out as often as possible :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:28 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Also try to remember crabs are going to go in there when you aren't watching too. I have soo many shells it isn't even funny. I keep my baskets full all of the time in every one of my tanks. It never hurts to add a couple of shells every day or every other day if you have the ability too. Keep it interesting. I like to think of it as enriching their environment. :) Try to get enough shells so that you can switch them out as often as possible :)
This is what I do as I don’t have a shell shop...mine are scattered about and when they get too dirty I grab most of them...rinse them all real well and then boil them in dechlorinated water. In the meantime I have a *back up* batch of shells and I scatter all those about...keeps it interesting for sure!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed