Should I Dip My Crabs in Water?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Should I Dip My Crabs in Water?

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 pm

I have yet to physically see any of my crabs crawl in or out of their salt and fresh water pools. This is not to say that they haven’t when I wasn’t looking. They’re PPs by the way. Should I set them in the water every once in a while for peace of mind or just leave them be and they’ll go in when they’re willing and ready?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: Should I Dip My Crabs in Water?

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Let them go in and adjust their shell water as they choose.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 pm

soilentgringa wrote:Let them go in and adjust their shell water as they choose.

Thanks. In the back of my mind, I knew this was the correct response, but I just needed someone to reassure me and subside my anxiousness.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:38 pm

LeeHasCrabs wrote:

Thanks. In the back of my mind, I knew this was the correct response, but I just needed someone to reassure me and subside my anxiousness.
Trust me....it was also a concern of mine too! I tend to overthink a lot with these crabs :wink:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:14 pm

fandt94 wrote:
LeeHasCrabs wrote:

Trust me....it was also a concern of mine too! I tend to overthink a lot with these crabs :wink:
Yeah, I do as well!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:40 pm

I have yet to see any of my P's in any water, unless I startle them and they fall in. Lol. I have seen them on the sides of the pool waving their legs in it or getting drinks but never completely submerged.

My straws didn't go into the water pools untill GotButterflies suggested to add bubblers. Once I did that they really hog up the saltwater pool with sand and Baby Ruth's! I usually have to change the satlwater every 2-4 days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I have yet to see any of my P's in any water, unless I startle them and they fall in. Lol. I have seen them on the sides of the pool waving their legs in it or getting drinks but never completely submerged.

My straws didn't go into the water pools untill GotButterflies suggested to add bubblers. Once I did that they really hog up the saltwater pool with sand and Baby Ruth's! I usually have to change the satlwater every 2-4 days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I’ve never seen any of mine in the water.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:32 pm

I’ve never seen mine in there but there’s always quite a bit of poo in the freshwater and a lot of sand in the saltwater. Rod must go in a lot, she’s always got a lot of water in her shell when I pick her up it leaks out. I have to change my freshwater everyday, they must throw a freshwater pool party at night. Aren’t you supposed to dip them after a molt, if returning from a isolation tank, or if you add a new crab to wash off a threat smell?

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I’ve never seen mine in there but there’s always quite a bit of poo in the freshwater and a lot of sand in the saltwater. Rod must go in a lot, she’s always got a lot of water in her shell when I pick her up it leaks out. I have to change my freshwater everyday, they must throw a freshwater pool party at night. Aren’t you supposed to dip them after a molt, if returning from a isolation tank, or if you add a new crab to wash off a threat smell?
Yes, but only during those times. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm

Caught him! Drinking and dipping his toes in the pools.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 pm

That’s so funny! I finally hooked up my camera last night and I caught one of mine dipping their toes too! It’s funny bc we were just talking about it. I can’t tell who it was, it’s hard to tell who is who in the night vision.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:30 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:That’s so funny! I finally hooked up my camera last night and I caught one of mine dipping their toes too! It’s funny bc we were just talking about it. I can’t tell who it was, it’s hard to tell who is who in the night vision.

That's the only thing I don't like about the cameras. The colorless night vision.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi