leftover food- wasted

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

leftover food- wasted

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 am

What do y'all do with any dried foods that are left over? i usually dump it because it's kinda clumped up together, but i feel like i'm wasting so much food. The isopods don't eat much at all, and what i add to the tote takes a few days to disappear. Any suggestions?
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

p2gg86

Re: leftover food- wasted

Post by p2gg86 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:44 am

Hi, the method I am using is use a measurement set. I measure how much leftover by using different measurement spoons until I find the right amount to feed. Just like preparing food for us human. We can do same for the crabs

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:48 am

p2gg86 wrote:Hi, the method I am using is use a measurement set. I measure how much leftover by using different measurement spoons until I find the right amount to feed. Just like preparing food for us human. We can do same for the crabs Image

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I think I'm over feeding. I only have 1 up, my E, but I'm scared that I won't put enough out and I'll have some come up during the night without any food. I worry too much sometimes I think lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:57 am

Unfortunately, I do end up tossing it out, unless it's still good enough to be eaten. I always do end up throwing some uneaten food away, it seems almost inevitable unless you begin to feed smaller portions of food...

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:02 am

hermiwormi wrote:Unfortunately, I do end up tossing it out, unless it's still good enough to be eaten. I always do end up throwing some uneaten food away, it seems almost inevitable unless you begin to feed smaller portions of food...

The food that's still good, do you add it back into the tank or save it and serve later?

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:55 am

I don’t normally have a ton of leftovers because I’ve cut back on how much I feed and started changing food dishes daily, but what I do have leftover I normally dump on the sub. Either the crabs eat it or the isopods do because it’s always gone within a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:32 pm

I would definitely cut back on your feedings until you have some come up :) No sense in wasting it! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:07 am

Thanks yall! I changed food out tonight and cut back on portions. I guess I'm just so anxious to have them come back up! Haha

hermiwormi

Post by hermiwormi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:22 am

ciaraalston wrote:
hermiwormi wrote:Unfortunately, I do end up tossing it out, unless it's still good enough to be eaten. I always do end up throwing some uneaten food away, it seems almost inevitable unless you begin to feed smaller portions of food...

The food that's still good, do you add it back into the tank or save it and serve later?

Might sound gross but, if it's still good, I add it back and they seem to eat the older food more quickly