Way to cold ...

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Way to cold ...

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:07 pm

So its way to cold for my crab I'm worried he is gonna die ....he is moving extremely slow he stays put and doesnt move around alot he is eating from what I can tell ..... very worried .... I almost wanna sell him but I have so much stuff I got for him .. that it's like not worth it but I'd rather sell him then he die ... and I have to move him into my room which is even colder ... then where he is now ....

I didnt insulate yet havnt had time and my temp was getting warmer .... so just didnt get to it yet ... need to get cardboard ....

Idk if I should buy another ultra therm for the other side I mean I can ....

I do have a little zoo med I was gonna put in the one corner opposite wall of my ultra therm .... but last time he stayed away from it and it only heated that corner literally they suck SO IDK WHAT TO DO

I can sell it but !! A stranger would have to come in my house and some how pick up a almost 200 pound tote ... like ..... not excited bout that .... THINKING OF OPTIONS

I PICK him up and he doesnt even want to move at times he does alil and Like I said he is eating .... alil ... idk scarred worried ... .....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Way to cold ...

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:11 pm

What is the temperature at currently?

Could it also be that your hermie is trying/going to moult, and that you're confusing inactivity with the lack of temperature?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm so sorry this is happening. You're in a very tough position. What is the temp in the tank? Try putting a blanket over it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:40 pm

If you insulate it will make a huge difference, I had a towel on mine and it helped but when I insulated my tank went up to 81. Or even wrap a blanket tight around it to help redirect the heat back in.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:51 pm

I have blankets wrapped all around it !!!
Only one on each side then 2 on top of the heater .. akil thinner... so ... maybe I could switch the thicker and thinner ones

The temp highest is about 70
Goes down couple degrees yestersay and today colder days bout 67 .....

I could move the temp to ! On the side .. he is never on the heater side though so if he is cold I dont get it ....!!!!!! I've moved his wood closer weeks ago cause was worried !! And he actually got off of it which he is always on it ... now he doesnt go on it at all .. I did move it back tho .. idk

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:17 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:I'm so sorry this is happening. You're in a very tough position. What is the temp in the tank? Try putting a blanket over it.
Highest is 70 right now ...was 67 ... with colder stuff drops couple from 70 ... I do have blankets over it but not tightly

Topic author
Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:17 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:What is the temperature at currently?

Could it also be that your hermie is trying/going to moult, and that you're confusing inactivity with the lack of temperature?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
No clue....
Temp is around 67 ... ish

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:46 pm

That sucks you are going through this. I know I freaked out when I lost power a month or two ago for a few hours.

Can you post a few pictures of your crabitat? That may help some of us get a better ideas to help you out.

What about putting the tote near a heat source like radiator or baseboard? That may help, just be sure it is not close enough to melt the tote and be sure to keep an eye on the humidity as well.

Is the tote on the floor? If so you may be able to raise the temperature a few degrees by somehow getting the tote off the ground a foot or two since warm air rises.

Good luck hopefully you will come up with something.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities