Moss pit question

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
fandt94

Moss pit question

Post by fandt94 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:29 am

So I currently have a plastic basket hanging for a moss pit....my question is if I’m maintianing it correctly. I have a piece of a cocofiber background lining the bottom and it filled with spaghnum moss. I mist it daily....is this correct?
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Hermiesguardian

Re: Moss pit question

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 am

fandt94 wrote:So I currently have a plastic basket hanging for a moss pit....my question is if I’m maintianing it correctly. I have a piece of a cocofiber background lining the bottom and it filled with spaghnum moss. I mist it daily....is this correct?
I don't have anything lining mine. I don't see why you can't line it. I soak mine periodically.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am

I don't see any issue with it... As long as it doesn't hold water in the bottom and start molding. Maybe then you might want to poke some holes so it can drain? Just my thoughts..

I kept my moss in a soap caddy that suctioned to the side. It had holes in the bottom already so I just put the moss in without lining it. My crabs had absolutely NO interest in it at all lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am

I don't see any issue with it... As long as it doesn't hold water in the bottom and start molding. Maybe then you might want to poke some holes so it can drain? Just my thoughts..

I kept my moss in a soap caddy that suctioned to the side. It had holes in the bottom already so I just put the moss in without lining it. My crabs had absolutely NO interest in it at all. lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:53 am

I have a bath caddy with no lining, it dries out pretty quickly, maybe with the lining it will help keep the moisture. Rod used to sleep up there but she is down now, Salty has taken her spot and every now and then Squirt will sleep up there too. How often should I change the moss? I’ve been meaning to ask that question but I keep forgetting.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:23 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:I have a bath caddy with no lining, it dries out pretty quickly, maybe with the lining it will help keep the moisture. Rod used to sleep up there but she is down now, Salty has taken her spot and every now and then Squirt will sleep up there too. How often should I change the moss? I’ve been meaning to ask that question but I keep forgetting.

Good question on how often to change it out. I wonder also. I’ve changed it out once since August. I have 2 crabs that love the pit...
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:03 pm

fandt94 wrote:
RiNiKy506 wrote:I have a bath caddy with no lining, it dries out pretty quickly, maybe with the lining it will help keep the moisture. Rod used to sleep up there but she is down now, Salty has taken her spot and every now and then Squirt will sleep up there too. How often should I change the moss? I’ve been meaning to ask that question but I keep forgetting.

Good question on how often to change it out. I wonder also. I’ve changed it out once since August. I have 2 crabs that love the pit...
I think I've read on here it doesn't really need changing. But I like the smell of fresh moss. I change mine when it no longer smells when wet. About every 2-3 months maybe.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Some of my guys like the moss damp, others like it dry some will use it either way. My mosh pit generally dries out in a day or two since it's next to the heater. I will mist it heavily maybe once a week. I will change the moss out every 3-4 months in the pit. I tried gluing the holes shut on the bottom so it would stay moister longer. It didn't really do much.

I also take some damp moss and just have it at clumps at random on the substrate. It gives the Isopods more hiding spots, snacks, and water source.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:09 pm

Mine love the moss pit. They crawl, chew, and sleep in it. It’s in a second level plastic shower caddy. I will mist it once a week but I think they prefer it dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 pm

I remember when I first put the moss in there they were eating it as soon as they saw it, at the time I didn’t realize they actually ate it too. I thought it was more for sleeping in and to help keep humidity up. I like that it’s multipurpose and it’s fairly cheap to buy. Thank you for replies on when to change it, I should change it soon then. The bigger pieces that fall down in the sand I try to rinse and it back up there, I think I’m going to start leaving some on the substrate too. It dries out so quickly, I can’t figure out if they like it dry or wet, I wet it every few days.

Topic author
fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:28 am

I wet mine for humidity but I don’t think my crabscare because I’ve seen them rooting around in there when it was dry....so much so that some falls out haha

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:49 am

Motörcrab wrote:Some of my guys like the moss damp, others like it dry some will use it either way. My mosh pit generally dries out in a day or two since it's next to the heater. I will mist it heavily maybe once a week. I will change the moss out every 3-4 months in the pit. I tried gluing the holes shut on the bottom so it would stay moister longer. It didn't really do much.

I also take some damp moss and just have it at clumps at random on the substrate. It gives the Isopods more hiding spots, snacks, and water source.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Your crabby looks just like my Rod in that shell! I thought she had come back up this morning but it was Salty in the other shell, I had one more a little smaller that looks the same.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:52 pm

My Command hooks came loose and the second level moss pit fell last night. I just fixed it and put new moss in and my guy is loving it.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk