hermit crab food shops located in Canada?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

hermit crab food shops located in Canada?

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:17 pm

i dont think this is the correct spot to post this but i figured maybe someone would know here, every online shop ive visited has extreme shipping costs to canada, ($20-$33 shipping) just for a small amount of homemade food.

any suggestions?
1 PP, crabbin’ since 2008!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: hermit crab food shops located in Canada?

Post by wodesorel » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Is Canadian Crab Connection still open?

It's really hard to send food items from the US to Canada. There are strict laws about what plants are permitted, and not a lot is allowed through. If the packages are caught with things that aren'y allowes then everything gets destroyed and both parties can get in trouble. The actual postage costs are also crazy!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 pm

wodesorel wrote:Is Canadian Crab Connection still open?

It's really hard to send food items from the US to Canada. There are strict laws about what plants are permitted, and not a lot is allowed through. If the packages are caught with things that aren'y allowes then everything gets destroyed and both parties can get in trouble. The actual postage costs are also crazy!
i just checked and it doesnt seem like there shop is active, but thank you anyways! ill be sure to keep an eye on it :), and ikr! tell me about it lol, prices and the strict laws are insane haha

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:41 am

if you're looking for some food, check out TheHealthyHermit on etsy. it's an HCA member's store. My crabs love everything i've ordered!
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:09 pm

ciaraalston wrote:if you're looking for some food, check out TheHealthyHermit on etsy. it's an HCA member's store. My crabs love everything i've ordered!
They are not located in Canada and would not be able to send food items there.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:25 pm

I currently have my shop on hold due to being overwhelmed with orders, zoeae, and heath issues, but I have shipped to Canada with no issues. I have also shipped internationally with no issues. Postage is ridiculous, and for some time I know that their was a strike with Canadian postage.

My stepson lives in Canada. We usually save stuff up and ship things just a few times a year because postage is so crazy expensive.

Have you checked out the safe food list, as well as the unsafe food list? Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
Safe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
Make sure that you provide calcium sources for them also :) Eggshells, cuttlebone, coral, etc. Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the foods that we eat. :) You can also check out the reptile section of the pet store and get some goodies there. Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
rufeelinitnowmrkrabs

Post by rufeelinitnowmrkrabs » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:11 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I currently have my shop on hold due to being overwhelmed with orders, zoeae, and heath issues, but I have shipped to Canada with no issues. I have also shipped internationally with no issues. Postage is ridiculous, and for some time I know that their was a strike with Canadian postage.

My stepson lives in Canada. We usually save stuff up and ship things just a few times a year because postage is so crazy expensive.

Have you checked out the safe food list, as well as the unsafe food list? Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
Safe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
Make sure that you provide calcium sources for them also :) Eggshells, cuttlebone, coral, etc. Hermit crabs can eat a lot of the foods that we eat. :) You can also check out the reptile section of the pet store and get some goodies there. Good luck!
I agree postage is insane! That’s why I was looking for a Canadian shop. And yes we’re still on a rotating strike but mail is thankfully still being delivered!! :) I’m glad you’ve had no issues mailing
But yes. I’ve checked both lists thank you so much for responding
And thanks to everyone else for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:44 am

soilentgringa wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:if you're looking for some food, check out TheHealthyHermit on etsy. it's an HCA member's store. My crabs love everything i've ordered!

Oh! For some reason I thought opposite. Sorry! Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 am

ciaraalston wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:

Oh! For some reason I thought opposite. Sorry! Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
It appears that they are able to ship to Canada so I was in error. We've had vendors in the past who had trouble so I assumed that was still the case.