I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Thank you @mlakers! You've been so helpful! :) It's been great having you to talk to! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:56 pm

Today marks...27 days for Clutch #1! Crazy!! I don't know how many megalopa I have, but it's a good amount!

Today I condensed my zoeae to one bowl. I then moved some of my megalopa to my transition tank, and moved four to the paint tray. I really need to sort shells!

So much to do, not enough hours in the day, and not enough sleep for the weary! :wink:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

amandapri82

Post by amandapri82 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:41 pm

Keep up the great work.. Thrilled when I get the notifications! LOL Like a Crabbie Drama Mini Series..!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:32 am

So happy for you! Keep doing what your doing but take time to care for yourself too!

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:54 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Just wanted to give an update :) I haven't done any daily videos because it's been a little crazy around here!

First of all, I don't think the artemia are able to eat the zoeae - I read that they do have mouths, but they are filter feeders. IDK...I watched them for awhile (I rear them in a five gallon bucket), and they sure do pick at the garbage on the bottom that I have to siphon out. Who knows.
I don't know about artemia but I do know that Aussie megalopa are cannibals. They eat each other in preference to anything else in the tanks. That's where my losses were greatest. using more containers helped spread them out so the loss rate dropped.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Renroc wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Hello! Just wanted to give an update :) I haven't done any daily videos because it's been a little crazy around here!

First of all, I don't think the artemia are able to eat the zoeae - I read that they do have mouths, but they are filter feeders. IDK...I watched them for awhile (I rear them in a five gallon bucket), and they sure do pick at the garbage on the bottom that I have to siphon out. Who knows.
I don't know about artemia but I do know that Aussie megalopa are cannibals. They eat each other in preference to anything else in the tanks. That's where my losses were greatest. using more containers helped spread them out so the loss rate dropped.
Yes...thank you. Unfortunately they are cannibals! I have put several pieces of coral in the transition tank to give them places to hide. Hopefully that helps. Tonight when I went to transfer megalopa I noticed in one of my bowls the numbers were down. I knew it was bound to happen. Mary had also warned me about it. That is why I had moved some to another container also. Thank you Sue! :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Thank you @Riniky :)

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:13 am

Wont it just be a fight to the death in each container? Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 pm

elly_bananas wrote:Wont it just be a fight to the death in each container? Lol
I put soft coral pieces and sand in the bottom - gives them places to hide from one another :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:55 pm

Just when I was condensing.....MORE ZOEAE....AND IT'S DECEMBER 1ST!!!

Last night I saw that one E wrangling a PP - I wondered what the deal was. Now I know. Tonight when I went to feed....TONS of zoeae in the msw pool. I swear these crabs are trying to put me in my grave.

Numbers are down in the megalopa and stage 4/5 tanks - they are definitely eating one another. Not much I can do.

I had a terrible migraine today - still suffering from it - but had to share the news. Please keep the positive thoughts coming my way!!! The babies and I need them!!! Thanks!!!!!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:58 pm

I hope you feel better, I feel your pain with the migraines! Ugh! Can they breed between species like that? What till they turn out like? Will it be like labradoodle, but in hermit crab form? Like an Ecuadorian Pincher!?

amandapri82

Post by amandapri82 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I hope you feel better, I feel your pain with the migraines! Ugh! Can they breed between species like that? What till they turn out like? Will it be like labradoodle, but in hermit crab form? Like an Ecuadorian Pincher!?

I was wondering about the breeding too.

Praying for your health! I get migraines, awful - just had one yesterday.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:02 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I hope you feel better, I feel your pain with the migraines! Ugh! Can they breed between species like that? What till they turn out like? Will it be like labradoodle, but in hermit crab form? Like an Ecuadorian Pincher!?

No, they cannot breed like that. What I meant is I have an E that guards the pools - it's crazy. I have a video of it on my YouTube Page. Earlier this season one of my Es (happened twice) dropped clutches in the fw pool. This other E grabbed one of them and held it down in the msw pool after it was in the fw pool. The zoeae had already touched fw, so they perished, but it was the thought that counted. Well, now two nights ago I saw this pp going towards the fw pool. The E was on top of it. I didn't know what they were doing, but there was no chirping, and everyone in my 100 gallon gets along. This all happened while I was tending to the zoeae and megalopa...well...turns out that PP probably was carrying a clutch. IDK...Just seems ironic to me. Hope I explained it well. I'm tired these days.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Oh, yes I get it now. I thought you had meant they were breeding, that would be cool though. I should have known that’s what you meant bc I remember seeing video of the male holding the female in the salt water.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:27 pm

No worries :) I speak mumbo jumbo these days!