Please someone help ASAP. Worms in water dish.

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachtt

Please someone help ASAP. Worms in water dish.

Post by Xenpurgisnachtt » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Someone please help- I've just looked into my crab's freshwater dish and there are these pale-yellowish worms wriggling around it- I live in a subtropical climate so they're likely bug larvae of some kind but I have 0 ideas what it could be- I'm about to deep was absolutely everything in the tank- someone, please respond as soon you can, this is really going to give me an anxiety attack. I need advice.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 182305.jpg

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Please someone help ASAP. Worms in water dish.

Post by curlysister » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 am

I don't know what the little wormies are, but I would not panic or deep clean your whole tank. If they are just in the water dishes, I would just empty the dishes and wash them out well. Hopefully someone else will chime in who might be able to ID the little critters!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:37 am

I'm sorry, I can't see them clearly enough to even begin to ID. Generally though, everything in hermit tanks is harmless.

Are you on facebook? There is a great group just called Entomology that will ID when given a state/province and country. If you can get a nice photo I'm sure they'll be able to pin down what it is quickly.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Clarkbar73

Post by Clarkbar73 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Do they look like these? I found some tiny worms in my crabbies water that look like the twisty worm in diagram 2. Still trying to find out what they are.
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Lif ... _222033516

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:57 pm

Hello :) I am unable to see the worms, but I'm wondering if they are nematodes. Nematodes are found in all types of sand - they typically don't find their way into water - but anything is possible. Try looking those up and see if that is what they are. Sometimes you can see little squiggles on the glass from them climbing...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com