Changing Substrait

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Rlochard

Changing Substrait

Post by Rlochard » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:02 am

I want to change my Substrait to a mix. I'm seeing posts that say to wait till oll the crabbies are on top due to possible molting. My problem is that all of mine are never up. I never see all of them at one time. When is there a safe time to do this?

Motörcrab

Re: Changing Substrait

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 am

This is always the tough part of caring for crabs. I'm assuming you have just Eco Earth and want to do an Eco Earth ans Sand mix? You have two options that I can think of.

Option 1: Add about 1 inch of sandcastle consistency sand every day or two to what you already have. Adding a little each day greatly decreases the chance of crushing a buried crabs tunnel. Eventually the crabs will get everything mixed on their own from digging. This will take a few days depending on how much you want to add. Over time once it is mixed the sand and eco earth mix will eventually settle. With about 7-8 inches of a 5/1 mix mine settled about 1 - 1 1/2 inches over a few weeks.

Option 2: This would require an additional set up for the crabs. As new crabs come up put them into a seperate tank. Once you gathered all your crabs you can add substrate to the original tank. Unfortunately this could take weeks or months and most people do not have the room for an additional tank like this.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities