Dug up a molter accidentally

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Perry0711

Dug up a molter accidentally

Post by Perry0711 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Hello, I accidentally dug up a freshly molted crab. He's in his shell and looks pale pink as of right now. Exoskeleton is still there, I have 2 others in the tank. Once I realized what I had done I moved the molter into a hole under one of the climbers I have in my tank. The other crabs are to big to get in there unless they dig down. I covered the hole with damp moss and put some crushed calcium and his exo in the hole with him. He's moving around in the shell a bit but will he be ok? I feel awful...Thanks

AwesomeHermit

Re: Dug up a molter accidentally

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:13 pm

I would recommend setting up an isolation talk. You can get a small tank or tote and put items the crab need, like food or water, along with a hide and substrate. Make sure to keep the exoskeleton with the crab so the crab can eat it. Make sure the crab has a lot of calcium to help the crab with having a strong exoskeleton.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
Perry0711

Post by Perry0711 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:36 pm

Ok, I set him up in a small critter keeper. I put some fresh water, crushed oyster shell, and some dried fruit sprinkled in the moss, saturate about 3 in deep, and a coconut hut. I dug down in the sand and placed him in the hole with his exoskeleton and put the hut over top. I replaced the top to the critter keeper and then covered it with a wash cloth to make it dark. I moved some things around in my tank so I could keep the critter keeper in my actual tank. I noticed his big claw was now a purplish color vs the pale pink color it was a few hours ago....good sign, I hope!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:24 pm

Hello :) During this time the crab should only need his/her exoskeleton. When that is finished (which sometimes they do not finish eating all of it), then you can add fw & msw for your crab to drink and raw honey, proteins and calcium for your crab to eat. When you crab is actively moving around, do a quick dip in the fw of your crabitat before adding him/her to general population. :) Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com