Seaweed question

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
crabby33

Seaweed question

Post by crabby33 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:39 pm

I just bought Seaweed from Hermies Kitchen and I found that it hits four key parts of a hermit crab’s diet: Astaxanthin, Calcium, Carbs and Beta Carotene. How can I serve it to my crabs when it arrives?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Seaweed question

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:46 pm

crabby33 wrote:I just bought Seaweed from Hermies Kitchen and I found that it hits four key parts of a hermit crab’s diet: Astaxanthin, Calcium, Carbs and Beta Carotene. How can I serve it to my crabs when it arrives?
I just give it to them in little pieces periodically.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:54 pm

It will probably be in small flakes or powder. Just give them a "pinch" in their food container.

We purchased Kombe seaweed a few weeks ago. It came in dried long Reaves that were pretty tough. We broke a piece or two into smaller chunks and used a coffee grinder to make it into powder.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Motörcrab wrote:It will probably be in small flakes or powder. Just give them a "pinch" in their food container.

We purchased Kombe seaweed a few weeks ago. It came in dried long Reaves that were pretty tough. We broke a piece or two into smaller chunks and used a coffee grinder to make it into powder.
I also brake my kombu seaweed into smaller pieces. My crabs love it.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!