Hermit crab sitting in same position for days??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Nefertari

Re: Hermit crab sitting in same position for days??

Post by Nefertari » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am

I have also bought things from Gotbutterflies etsy store as well as Hermies Kitchen. They are both great!
My crabs love the Mason jar meals from Hermies Kitchen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sallrw

Post by sallrw » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:05 pm

I too have ordered from ebay. I order from "crabtreatmania" who looks to be a little short on food at the moment but when he has it...he has a bunch. You'll have to keep checking back with him. All organic

This seller has a lot of meat in his foods. Plus Venison! My crabs love his food!

In each choice of purchase this seller has Purchase #1: Corn, Celery seedS, Garden delights, Peaches, Parsley, Crickets, Fly larva, Cantaloupe, Cantaloupe Berry, Strawberry, Banana, Worm castings manure supplement, Mango, Brussel sprout chips homemade, Pink salt not for drinking additive to food, Raw cane sugar, Brussel sprout chip/mushroom, Rose, Chia seeds, Parsley, Corn chowder

Purchase #2: Crickets, Fly larva, Meal worms, Fried rice , Bug sandwich, Wild weed salad, pink salt not for drinking, Brown rice and quinoa, Coconut, Venison deer meat, Venison loaf deer liver, Chicken, Nettle leaves, Plantain, Wild lettuce, Banana Raspberry, Banana, Raspberry, Sesame seeds, Pot luck, Berry shake, Milk thistle powder, Pineapple, Chamomile, Cheese freeze dried, Spinach, Turkey, Deluxe cheese burger

I have also purchased from "hugsforhermits" on ebay. She has lots of great food as well and also has bark, oak leaves and powdered spirulina. She took a couple of weeks off for the holidays but should be back anytime.

I would like to try some of the food from the sellers Motorcrab mentioned as well. I like to try new varieties
Last edited by sallrw on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:48 am

I was really impressed with the stuff from ChollaQueen on Etsy. My guys have been going crazy over the dried earthworms and the fishbone calcium mix. I also like how her stuff all comes in reusable plastic jars instead of plastic bags. I ordered all my stuff in the 4oz jars so they will last us a few months rather than a few weeks.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Thank you so much for these options! I’ve been looking through and it’s a bit tricky because I have multiple severe food allergies and often the mixes have one thing I’m allergic to (eg peaches or carrots or apple etc). I’ll keep looking through thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Oh Wow! With a lot of the places I'm sure if you contact them and explain your allergies they can make you special batches of food to avoid cross contamination. Maybe even just send you items other than what you are allergic to.

Ebay may be out for you since most places sell "batches" of random foods for a set price.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:28 am

Plasmoc wrote:Thank you so much for these options! I’ve been looking through and it’s a bit tricky because I have multiple severe food allergies and often the mixes have one thing I’m allergic to (eg peaches or carrots or apple etc). I’ll keep looking through thank you!

PM Lacey (owner at Hermie’s Kitchen) on Etsy and let her know you have allergies and I am sure she will work with you.

Topic author
Plasmoc

Post by Plasmoc » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:01 pm

It’s tricky, my allergies are so severe that cross-contamination from her kitchen is a risk if she has been recently working with foods I’m allergic to. Even airborne or touching my hands is an issue. I’ll PM her to check though, thanks!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:26 am

Plasmoc wrote:Where do you buy coral and oyster shells from? I bought some and untreated dried sand dollars and starfish. They are super stinky.

When you buy leaf litter how do you know it’s truly safe? Do you get it on Etsy or where from?

I just go out to the woods and scoop up big handfuls of leaf litter (making sure to avoid any areas with pine needles/branches/cones) and stick em in a ziplock bag with some paper towels to suck up the moisture. It's free and my crabs love the leaf litter I collect!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:12 am

How can you know that you’re avoiding any like bug eggs and stuff- do you do anything else to the leaf litter? Sorry to jump in, but I’ve been wanting to do this too but it freaked me out about bugs!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:33 pm

When I collect leaves, I try to get the ones that have dried but not fallen from the trees yet. Then I put them in a tub and let them dry out completely. Then I crunch them up and put them in a big zip loc bag in the freezer. I figure the freezer will kill off any bugs, and getting the leaves off the trees helps avoid the mold and fungus on the ground.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers