Road Trips?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Road Trips?

Post by CrabMommaChara » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:24 pm

I'm getting a pair of hermit crabs and I travel 30-60 minutes about once every few weeks. Will this gradually kill my hermit crabs? Is there any way to have them be more comfortable in road trips?

Also, any special tips for new hermit crab owners?
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

Hermiesguardian

Re: Road Trips?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:42 pm

CharaCat wrote:I'm getting a pair of hermit crabs and I travel 30-60 minutes about once every few weeks. Will this gradually kill my hermit crabs? Is there any way to have them be more comfortable in road trips?

Also, any special tips for new hermit crab owners?
Welcome! When you travel, how long are you away from home? If the crabs are small-medium they will require at least a 10 gallon tank. But you will find out soon that it will be cramped with everything you need. Any size you get will need a minimum of 6inches of substrate. A 5:1 mix of playsand/eco earth. That's very heavy. And moving their tank risks their tunnels and caves collapsing, which can suffocate them. Read through the care sheets on here to see their basic needs.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm usually away from home for a few days at a time at the most, usually not more than 3 without proper supplies. Can they survive without the huge amount of stuff, if you bring a miniature version of it and let them roam often? I intend for them to sleep in a very warm, sandy container with a wet rag over the top. I also intend to make emergency stops to the local pet store to set stuff up when I need it, but I'm primarily concerned about their transportation. Because I don't drive, I can have them in a small tank on my lap if that would help them?
Also, are there any snack foods I can give them that will make them happy on car trips?

Thanks for your help!
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:46 pm

CharaCat wrote:I'm usually away from home for a few days at a time at the most, usually not more than 3 without proper supplies. Can they survive without the huge amount of stuff, if you bring a miniature version of it and let them roam often? I intend for them to sleep in a very warm, sandy container with a wet rag over the top. I also intend to make emergency stops to the local pet store to set stuff up when I need it, but I'm primarily concerned about their transportation. Because I don't drive, I can have them in a small tank on my lap if that would help them?
Also, are there any snack foods I can give them that will make them happy on car trips?

Thanks for your help!
These are not travel pets. Switching them from tank to container periodically will stress them so much it can kill them. You can leave them alone for a few days. Just leave them enough dry food. And they will be buried much of the time. And rule #1 of crabbing is never dig them up. Unless in an emergency. Like a tank flood or bacterial bloom.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 pm

As stated, crabs don't make good travel pets. I have left my crabs at home for up to a week (and I know there are members who have left them even longer). Be sure that the water bowls are full and fresh, and leave dried food in adequate quantity. As stated, I would not advise travelling with them. Mosts of us do not allow our crabs to 'roam' (because out of the tank, they are not in proper temp/ humidity/ etc), and most of us are hands-off, just enjoying them in their tank.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:22 pm

I have left my crabs to fend for themselves for several days on their own. As long as you tend to their needs before you leave for any length of time they should be fine. I would personally have someone check in on them at minimum once a week, preferably twice depending on how long you will be gone.

I believe a lot of us on here are "hands off" on the hermit crabs once they are in their habitat. Aside from moving them out of the way to do something inside the tank or inspecting them after a molt most of us do not handle them.

As for tips, I would say to read up on the care sheets about crab care. There is a ton of extremely useful in all of the guides. They will probably answer a lot of your questions.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=51
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities