Shy Guy

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Shy Guy

Post by CrabMommaChara » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm

I recently became a crab owner of two. One crab, Hermes, is super shy and gets scared any time I approach him. Is there any thing I can do to make him less scared? I feel really bad for him, the pet shop people said he was one of the more beat up of the bunch. I really love him and I want to help him.
Any suggestions?
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

Xenocrab

Re: Shy Guy

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Give him time. They are natural prey in the wild, so they are instinctly scared of anything bigger than them. He may get use to you or he may not. Some of our crabs are always spooked by us even tho we've had them for years. Other crabs aren't scared of anything. Each crab has a distinct and different personality. Be patient and know that you are trying your best!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Provide lots of hides :) Also, try not to hold him/her during this time. Let him/her acclimate to his/her environment.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 am

Thanks! these tips have helped my little guy adjust better, and now he is happily out of his shell wandering, eating, and looking generally happy and healthy!
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena