Lost legs

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Lost legs

Post by SLEPTAS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:33 pm

So I'm adding a bigger pool to my crabitate and I had to move my big guy to take the pool out and hes been sitting in the same place for a day but I thought he was just distressing but when I moved him I found lost legs

Is this his molted legs? I dont know if they cant molt above ground or not. Hes moving now and looks pale so it might be but I really dont know I've never had a molter before..Image

Jamison

Re: Lost legs

Post by Jamison » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:43 pm

I started crabbing pretty recently, so I may be wrong. I think you should isolate him, and feed him stuff with high calcium.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:49 pm

If the crab is in the shell and very pale and soft, it just molted. Don’t touch the body if it is soft, but pick it up gently by the shell and pick up the exoskeleton and isolate the crab with the exo.

You can even put a 2 liter soda bottle over it inside the tank to keep it safe, just cut it in half and press it own into to the substrate over the crab and exo.

It needs to eat the exo to regain nutrients it needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm

I may have thrown out the exo when I took out the old pool but he is very active now.. Do I still need to isolate him? What foods would you recommend that are high calcium. Right now I have egg shells meal worm and some fruit/nut mixture

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:10 pm

Yes, I would still isolate him, unless he is the only crab. If he is freshly molted, he will be vulnerable to the other crabs. Crabs *can* molt on the surface, but they *shouldn't*. A surface molt often means the crab doesn't have proper conditions to molt. Sorry if you've answered somewhere else, but what kind and how much substrate do you have? What are your temp and humidity?

Here is a link to the nutrition guide:

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 25&t=92554
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 am

I have 7 inches of substrate. Its eco earth and pool filter sand mixed together and it holds it shape

Since I added my new pool my humidity is in the 80s and temp is around 75

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:26 pm

IMO, you should still isolate him. Provide him with calcium (eggshells, cuttlebone, coral, oyster shell, exoskeleton), Protein: (bugs, meats), honey.

Surface molts happen for a lot of reasons. If you fill out the emergency template we can help you figure out why.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com