Tank humidifier/heater

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tank humidifier/heater

Post by curlysister » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:32 pm

I'm not sure that Creature Soil is appropriate. Most of us use a mixture of 5 parts play sand to 1 part Eco Earth. Like Hermiesguardian said, substrate needs to be at least 6 inches deep (or three times as deep as your biggest crab, whichever is deeper), and need to be moist enough to hold it's shape so the crabs can make tunnels and caves to molt in. This also helps with humidity. Not sure if the Creature Soil can be moistened like that.

What is a 'tank heater'? An under tank heater is best - mounted on the back or side of the tank, never underneath.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:25 am

good news: tank humidity is perfect right now, and it seems to stay good as time goes on.
bad news: tank heat could be better. Current heat is about ~69 degrees.

It's 3 am and I have my little tank heater light on XD
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:18 pm

definitely get a uth. www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com

In the meantime, you can warm towels or a blanket in the dryer (no dryer sheets), and then drape it over your tank to help with heat. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com