Crab fight maybe... Please help!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
hyelah1990

Crab fight maybe... Please help!!

Post by hyelah1990 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Hello again, I am having a problem in my tank and help would be greatly appreciated. My crabitat meets all requirements and my crabs have plenty of shells... 2 of them are just picky. The problem is that 2 of my crabs are in similar shells (Bursa rana and Bursa bubo) one is just a bit smaller than the other, but they are the 2 biggest shells of that type atm. My other 4 crabs gladly chose one of the MANY turbos I bought them. Once I realized Junior and Poppy wouldn't even try the turbos I ordered 10 of each (10 Bursa rana and 10 Bursa bubo shells) They were shipped to my moms house and hopefully I will be able to get them tomorrow evening. Well, this morning I saw Junior (the smaller of the two) checking out a green turbo. Finally he hopped in, but then immediately went towards Poppy (biggest crab I have who was inside a piece of hollowed out cholla wood) and kept grabbing his shell and trying to pull him out. I mean he was giving it all he had, he kept falling over backwards he was pulling so hard. Then he would get up and go right back at it again. He kept grabbing his shell and looked like he was trying to get to the hole, like he was stretching out squeezing his body inbetween Poppy's shell and the cholla wood. I hope this is all making sense. This went on for a while, and he clearly wasn't giving up. So, I took Junior out and checked the size of the shell he was in (which looks a bit small to me) and the one he just left behind. I gathered 7 or 8 shells around that size and bigger (including his old shell) rinsed them in salt water and set them all up infront of him. He is showing no interest in any of the shells. I have been watching them all day... I considered this an emergency because I've had a similar situation before and it did not end well 😞 What do I do??? Should I put the bully in ISO until I can get the extra shells to them? I would rather not split them up but I don't know what else to do. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated...Please and thank you.

Topic author
hyelah1990

Re: Crab fight maybe... Please help!!

Post by hyelah1990 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Ok, so I'm checking on them like every few minutes. Last I saw Junior I accidentally scared him and he scurried into a hut full of moss. Just checked again and Poppy is easing his way out of the cholla wood and I'm not sure where Junior is. I'm setting the ol 20 gallon back up just incase I need to use it tonight. If anyone has a better idea... Please chime in.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:11 pm

I don’t know if this is the right answer but I would take the one out until you get your other shells, just to be safe. If he was trying that hard for that shell it’s better to be safe. Maybe GotButterflies, Wodesorel, curlysister, someone that’s more experienced may know what to do.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

Topic author
hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks a bunch!!! That's what I was thinking too... I've been watching them like a hawk and have my ISO tank ready. I will probably split them up when I head to bed or if anything happens before then. I would just hate for something to happen and know that I could have avoided it.

Topic author
hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Well, I put Junior in ISO last night and it will be tomorrow before I can get their shells 😩 I feel so bad for him being all alone 😞 I thought about putting someone in there to keep him company, but I have only seen him and Poppy up for the past couple days. So Poppy might just be "alone" too right now. Hopefully he will be okay for one more night. He ate really good and was out exploring all night, so I guess that's a good thing. I was worried about him climbing on the screen lid under the heat lamp though. My ISO tank meets requirements, it is just not the best set up. Screen lid with cling wrap and foil, UTH and heat lamp. My main tank just has a UTH and plexiglass lid so I don't have to worry about it there. But I'm afraid it might be too hot for him (so I turned it down) Does anyone know if he will still go up there if it is too hot?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:21 pm

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:00 pm

I have already filled it out before and I believe I have fixed everything that wasn't quite up to par. I believe the problem is the lack of the type of shells they prefer. But I will gladly fill it out again, maybe you will catch somthing I missed.

Topic author
hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Coconut fiber and play sand mix about 50/50, 8-9 inches. (I unintentionally made a slight slope) I mixed it with about 2/3 dechlorinated msw and 1/3 dechlorinated fw to sand castle consistency.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Acurite, located about the middle of the tank. I keep the temp between 80-85 and humidity between 80-90

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Ultratherm across the back

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Fresh and salt water (instant ocean mixed as directed) Both deep enough they can fully submerge, but have a safe way out. Also both treated with prime.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I feed them a large variety of food from the safe list and try to cover all aspects of the food pyramid. To name a few... They get fresh meat, fruit, and veggies, nuts, and eggs. They get dehydrated fruit, veggies, and bugs. They get a ton of stuff I ordered online, like spirulina, alfalfa, coconut and chia, kelp, soy beans, flaxseed, cattle bone, bee pollen, a few different fishy smelling mixes, and several different kinds of poop (just to name a few of those) They also have a dry food/calcium pit with oyster shell, cuttle bone, millet, crab shell, oats, egg shell, stuff like that... I have givin them peanut butter, honey, and coconut oil a couple of times (all organic when possible) I could go on and on... They eat better than I do lol. All fresh food is replaced daily, dry foods I let stay for a few days as long as it doesn't get wet or yucky.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
2 of them since August and 4 since September, all PP's.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
All six have molted since I got them and they all currently have fuzzy legs and sharp toenails.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
55 gallon aquarium with plexiglass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
6 crabs, I have not used the size chart yet but by guessing... maybe one small, 4 small/medium, and maybe one medium-ish (jusy slightly larger than the other 4) The largest of the bunch was the one getting picked on by a smaller crab, but not the smallest. If that matters... I believe he wants his shell.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Around 40 shells, the majority being turbos.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Spot clean when needed and wipe the glass down with a peper towel.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No sponges

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Upgraded right before Christmas, nothing new since then.
EDITED TO ADD: See my next post please

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
I think that about covers it, I'm hands off for the most part

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
Please read OP
Last edited by hyelah1990 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:42 pm

I just had a shell attack last night after introducing a new rescue. I dipped him to smell like the others. After an hour or so another crab came over and locked onto him from behind. When I saw what was going on I broke it up. I dipped both of them and put them on opposite sides of the tank. I pulled all the shells, and added some new ones after a rinse in salt water. Luckily the attacker switch into a new one and I have not seen any more aggression.

Hopefully after you get the new shells everything will go back to normal.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:52 pm

Now that I think about it... The bubblers in both pools were added after Christmas, and I added on to my second level (with same materials already used previously so not really "new") I don't think they are part of the problem though.

Topic author
hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks Motorcrab. I actually watched your video and read your post about this. I will definitely pull all old shells, rinse, and add them back with the new ones asa I get them. Hopefully this will fix the problem, fingers crossed.

Topic author
hyelah1990

Post by hyelah1990 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 am

Well, I was really hoping for a bit more help here... But I believe I've got it all sorted out. Last night I got all the shells rinsed and Junior picked one right away so he went back to gen pop. I also got my Wyze cam set up!! (My early Birthday gift from my wonderful boyfriend) Poppy went after Junior, I split them up, showed Poppy all of the new shells and haven't had a problem since. Maybe that was just his payback lol. I also just placed another order for more turbos just to be on the safe side. I really do appreciate the input I did get during this stressful time 🙂