Hard to believe

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Hard to believe

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm not sure if this belongs here. I'm looking to adopt a couple of crabs and came across someone selling 2 crabs on LetGo. He claims they were raised from eggs. I find that really hard to believe considering how difficult it is and mostly their current set up that houses the crabs now. He says they are a yr old. And he's selling them for $10 each. I offered 5 each. He turned me down. Do you think it's true? They are small and medium. By his description. Could they be that size in a year?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hard to believe

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:12 pm

Ask for proof - if he at least didn't take pics, I wouldn't believe him. Especially if he can take pics of the parents (and the tank, a good setup is usually a good sign that the crabs may of bred) or explain his process of how he raised the larvae.

Edit: as for small/medium, it depends on what he considers small/medium. So tentative yes.
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:14 pm

That's really true - if he doesn't have a picture of them as tiny babies he's just making stuff up.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:54 pm

Goin off what was said above, and continuing- cause 5am rants aren't my forte...

Considering that every Tom, Dick and Harry has a smart phone, its not hard to have some snaps of the larvae.... (and if he has pics of the crabs in the ad, but none of the larvae... haha, he's dreaming....)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:13 pm

"Technically" they were raised from eggs... :hlol: HE/THEY just probably didn't do it!!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:20 pm

This is the pic of their current set up. Horrific for someone who should know better. I'm asking them for pics of their growing up.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Considering there isn't a msw pool to lay live eggs into, I'd say you have a fibber there...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:09 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Considering there isn't a msw pool to lay live eggs into, I'd say you have a fibber there...
Yeah. And this is the transport pic going to the vet. Image

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:23 pm

I have a bunch of Strawberry Hermit Crab Eggs that are about to hatch!

I'd be willing to bet the person had them for a year is all the truth in that add. You can take hermit crabs to the vet? I'm assuming they will have no idea hermits spawn. I had no clue until I came to the HCA. If we have expert crabbers on here that have difficult times breeding, AFTER having ideal crabitats for years. I find it very hard to believe some random guy has preformed that miracle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Motörcrab on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:42 pm

:hlol:

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:23 pm
I have a bunch of Strawberry Hermit Crab Eggs that are about to hatch!

I'd be willing to bet the person had them for a year is all the truth in that add. You can take hermit crabs to the vet? I'm assuming they will have no idea hermits spawn. I had no clue until I came to the HCA. If we have expert crabbers on here that have difficult times breeding, AFTER having ideal crabitats for years. I find it very hard to believe some random guy has preformed that miracle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Love those eggs! Lol. I asked him a couple of more questions. Got no reply. Offered again to pay $5/crab.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:00 pm

Ok. I got a reply. The vet gave them calcium boosters. :hlol: So I asked for the vet's name in case I needed help with my crabs.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:47 pm

Oh my word - was that a serious picture that the person sent you of them going to the vet? Perhaps the person took the hermit crabs to the vet and the vet told him to give the hermit crabs more calcium. That looks like prepared food to me. I think the person is just really confused. Maybe he is selling them for someone.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:33 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:47 pm
Oh my word - was that a serious picture that the person sent you of them going to the vet? Perhaps the person took the hermit crabs to the vet and the vet told him to give the hermit crabs more calcium. That looks like prepared food to me. I think the person is just really confused. Maybe he is selling them for someone.
They were in those containers. He said they had proper ventilation. And apparently it's his dad that bred them. Oh well. I'll continue my look to adopt. Although I may break down and go to Petsmart.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Is this an adult or 3 kids in a trenchcoat tryna sell some crabs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk