Surface molt??

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
TXcrabby022

Surface molt??

Post by TXcrabby022 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Combo of coarse sand and coconut coir, 6-8" deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Temp 75-85, humidity 85

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Heating pad at either end, light at one end, covered with comforter at night

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh (distilled), salt with Instant Ocean

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Daily, variety of mostly fresh organically-grown leaves, fruits, veg, egg, eggshell, various shrimp and dried fish, river shrimp, mealworms, nuts, coconut, peanut butter, sometimes cereal, bread, pancake, all whole-grain organic, etc.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known? PP, 2 years or more

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen? Not in a while, months ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing? 55 gallon tank, plexiglass lid

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they? 2 - 5 medium to large (haven't seen 3 of them in at least 6 months)

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 3 per crab

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently? No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Wipe down inner walls, replace substrate (havent done this since all the other crabs went down to molt)

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned? No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently? Plastic fish tank plant like others we've had in there for years

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? We mist them daily, don't take them out, provide lots of hiding places, moss, driftwood to climb on

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Medium sized PP is out of shell, but goes back in a little when I mist the tank. Found it like that this am. Has been listless, not eating last couple of days. I've put a bunch of shells around it.

ciaraalston

Re: Surface molt??

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:27 pm

I don't have time to read entire post, I'll do so when I get off. But here's a pic of my purple pincher in a surface molt during our move for reference.

The piece laying next to his shell is his exo. He's inside the shell. He eventually ate all of his exo and is doing well!

I'll post more info when I get off work and able to read thru your answers! Just wanted to give you a reference point. Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 am

I'm not seeing anything that would have triggered a surface molt, which is good.

Is he hanging out of his shell, or is he completely out and naked?

It could be a surface molt or he might be dying. It doesn't sound like anything was done to cause a problem, but sometimes they sustain a lot of damage that doesn't catch up to them until a few molts have happened. I would suggest isolating him away from any of the other crabs just in case for safety, and keep doing what you're doing. Honey or peanut butter would be good to offer in case it's not a molt.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
TXcrabby022

Post by TXcrabby022 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Thanks for the responses; he's still hanging out of his shell almost completely, but responds by moving a little when I mist the crabitat. No other crabs are up right now, but I will isolate him with some pb and honey. I've got some moss I can put around him for a little more protection and humidity.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:03 pm

TXcrabby022 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:53 pm
Thanks for the responses; he's still hanging out of his shell almost completely, but responds by moving a little when I mist the crabitat. No other crabs are up right now, but I will isolate him with some pb and honey. I've got some moss I can put around him for a little more protection and humidity.
He needs to be reshelled. Try gently backing him into a shell. Rinse out the shell first and gently rinse him too.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:04 pm

I replied with GB for GOTBUTTERFLIES
TXcrabby022 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:07 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it? Combo of coarse sand and coconut coir, 6-8" deep

GB: Is it moistened with dechlorinated msw or dechlorinated fw to make it sandcastle consistency?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read? Temp 75-85, humidity 85

GB: I personally recommend a minimum of 79 (low at night) nothing lower than 79 - that is my personal opinion -

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what? Heating pad at either end, light at one end, covered with comforter at night

GB: You can also try insulating your tank. UTH's from reptile basics and bean farm can be insulated over the top - but zoomed ones and ones similar to those cannot be insulated over the top of them. They need to be insulated around them because they are heat mats and already come insulated. To insulate, do the following:
Option a: Costs more, less work: Reflectix insulation (looks like a car shade) sold at Walmart/Lowe's/Home Depot - $14 roll: Cut to size - hang with packaging tape/duct tape/reflectix tape.
Option b: Cheaper, more work: Aluminum foil (shiny side facing inside the crabitat), then cardboard or styrofoam. may repeat layer of aluminum foil and cardboard or styrofoam if needed.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)? Fresh (distilled), salt with Instant Ocean

GB: I personally recommend that you use tap water and then a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, and chloramine as well as neutralizes ammonia and heavy metals. A lot of us use a product called Prime. :) You have to use the dechlorinator for both freshwater and marine saltwater. Both pools should be deep enough for them to fully submerge in and safe enough for them to get out of. Distilled has no minerals in it whatsoever.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced? Daily, variety of mostly fresh organically-grown leaves, fruits, veg, egg, eggshell, various shrimp and dried fish, river shrimp, mealworms, nuts, coconut, peanut butter, sometimes cereal, bread, pancake, all whole-grain organic, etc.

GB: Make sure you cover all aspects of food pyramid :) Foods should be organic when possible. Hermit crabs are sensitive to pesticides and fertilizers.
Safe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92556
Food pyramid: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92554
Provide calcium too - cuttlebone, eggshells, coral, oyster shell, exoskeleton

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any? 3 per crab

GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per hermit crab. I personally recommend more. It never hurts to have more :) There are incorrect shells to buy. Here is the shell guide: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Wipe down inner walls, replace substrate (havent done this since all the other crabs went down to molt)

GB: It is not necessary to replace the substrate UNLESS you have a bacterial bloom.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)? We mist them daily, don't take them out, provide lots of hiding places, moss, driftwood to climb on

GB: Be careful with misting: It can lead to flooding. If you must mist - mist with dechlorinated fw. Don't spray crabs.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail. Medium sized PP is out of shell, but goes back in a little when I mist the tank. Found it like that this am. Has been listless, not eating last couple of days. I've put a bunch of shells around it.

GB: You need to reshell this crab ASAP
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:12 pm

It really sounds like this little guy is in a shell but only weakly hanging onto it. I've seen this before and when they're this week they won't stay properly shelled. I'm not sure messing with him and his shell is the right thing to do here.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:47 pm

How is your crab doing today?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
TXcrabby022

Post by TXcrabby022 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Thanks for all the helpful information and ideas! He/she seems to be doing better now, eating and staying more in shell. I haven't wanted to move her/him much. Last time this happened with another crab, I think the rinsing and handling may have been too much as our crabs are not handled regularly, and the poor crabby died. Plenty of all the good stuff to eat around, full pyramid ;) and all organic. I use only distilled water for misting and wetting the substrate, but can add trace minerals to it. Substrate is sandcastle consistency. I'll try some more insulation and continue to monitor for flooding. I've also been blowing him/her little kisses. Finger crossed she/he keeps getting better!