PP dropped claw, lost energy, had liquid come out all of a sudden

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
crablover30

PP dropped claw, lost energy, had liquid come out all of a sudden

Post by crablover30 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:38 am

Was playing with my hermit out of his tank cause I noticed he was a little slower lately and was wondering how he'd react outside of his tank, so I put him in a plastic container for about 30 minutes (no lid so air wasn't an issue) and watched him, I let him in there for about 20 more minutes while I took a shower and when I came back I saw his claw was in the water bowl, my heart instantly dropped, he was mostly in his shell next to the bowl with his legs slightly hanging out, I went to pick him up and check on him and noticed a darkish (very slightly blue) liquid under him, I assumed he was dead but he started to slowly move, all of sudden within 20 minutes my crabby went from being somewhat normal to like a deathbed state. His legs are really glossy/slimy looking, I set him in isolation in case he's molting but he's not digging or anything, could he be molting in his shell? how long should I wait before assuming he's dead? he tried to leave his shell right in front of me but he couldn't cause he kept slowly going back in since I was there hence why I put him in iso and left him alone, when I came back he's in the same spot, legs hanging out a little, no movement atm, I noticed him spending a little more time drinking lately, not the saltwater dish but the freshwater. Is it possible for them to molt in their shell? I've had him for about a year now, he's considered a large hermit at the store, a little bigger than a golf ball. He has never molted with me yet, 10-12 months is usually their period between molts so I'm guessing he's molting but what should I do since he's surface molting? (if he is) I haven't been able to find much info on the liquid under him when I picked him up, I've never seen that liquid before.

also 1 more thing, no fishy smells about 24 hours later. (this happened about a day ago.

Hermiesguardian

Re: PP dropped claw, lost energy, had liquid come out all of a sudden

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:46 am

Since I've never experienced anything like this all I can tell you us they never leave their shell to molt. And if the do a surface molt it means someyhing is wrong. Please fill out the emergency template so we can get an idea of the conditions.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
crablover30

Post by crablover30 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:06 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Sand, about 5-6 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
78 F during day, 76 F at night, I use more than 1 thermo and hygro gauge, I have one of each near the bottom of the tank and one near the top that are placed inside the glass walls of course. I have multiple for accuracy.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Heating pad under the tank, heat lamp over top the tank.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
I use the directions on the label of the bottles, I use zoomed dechlorinator, for freshwater I use distilled water and for saltwater I use instant ocean.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Food&water are replaced daily, usually fresh fruits, fishmeal, fresh lettuce.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
PP, 1 year.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Never for me.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
10 Gallon glass aquarium, plastic lid on top w/ custom made holes.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 smalls (quarter size), 1 medium (half dollar), and 1 large (golfball ish).

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
about 15 ranging from small to jumbo size.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No, and no smoking either.

12. How often do you clean the tank and how? Every 2 weeks I like to clean the waste off of the sand, wash the inner walls and lid with water & a napkin only.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Nope, had an issue of my crabs tears apart the sponges and making a mess sometimes.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
No.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
There is a couple rocky caves that would be used in a fish environment, some zoomed climbing stick wood thing, fake plants to provide shade but these have all been here for a very long time and only 1 crab is acting weird right now.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
refer to first post

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:05 am

Something prevented him from molting as needed. I'm thinking it's due to overcrowding, but there could be a few reasons why. I went through those below. Just keep him in ISO for now and don't disturb him. Stress alone can cause them to have problems! Dropping limbs is not molting but dying. If he's strong enough he might be able to pull through this, but honestly when they get to this point it's not likely You may have been seeing his blood, which is copper based and blue. If he seems like he is alive and moving, try offering peanut butter and/or honey which can give a boost.

Is the sand playsand? Is it moist enough that it holds its shape when squeezed?

UTHs under the tank are not recommended as the sand acts as an insulator and causes overheating at the bottom. This is bad for the crabs as they dig to cool off, and can be dangerous as the pad itself can overheat.

Distilled for fresh is not recommended as it won't contain the minerals they need. Treated tap is safe!

Worried their diet may not be as robust as needed. Fishmeal products often contain a preservative that is thought to be harmful to hermits and interfere with molting. A diet with lots of different proteins, fruits and plant material is healthiest.

That is a lot of crab for a 10 gallon tank. They may not feel comfortable molting since they are crowded. Ideally a 30 gallon or larger or that many would be best. At the very least, make sure the tank is half-filled with sand for safety but that still might not be enough for your largest.

The sponges were likely torn apart due to boredom. Crabs do get bored! They need to be able to climb and walk all night or they start getting cabin fever and acting weird.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
crablover30

Post by crablover30 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:44 pm

I'll make sure I take your recommendations to avoid killing anymore crabbies, so sad I lost my big herm he was my little buddy I always could play with when I was stressed out and sad and I would smile when I played with him or watched him play.