Big PP crab butt naked

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
bmer

Big PP crab butt naked

Post by bmer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:42 am

I got this big PP for the past 2 , he got a successful molt about 1 years ago
In the past years I’ve seen him change back and fort of shells.
2 weeks ago I found him into a ¾ inch shell, it look so weird because is previous shell was easy 2 inch opening.

I got scared and provide him a couple more shell, I was actually real happy that he changed right away into an beautiful African turbo.
I think the turbo was a weird fit/shape for him a little to small again.

2 days ago he was naked.
Not again,. This append to me previously with smaller crab they all die 1 to 2 day later being naked.

First I put lot of shell next to him.
Then I pick him up (with a spoon) then gently put him into a shell he did not stayed.
The thing is that he look active, he is eating food and drinking water, chilling next to is pool.
Yesterday he was on the side of is SW pool so I pick him up again with a spoon then I’ve dunk him into is FW pool to clear sand then gently put him into a shell, he never fully when inside and now he’s out again.

He activity make me think that he may want to molt soon, butt he is but necked what the heck.
He also as not been active in the digging recently

I

Temperature is from 81 to 75 (back to front)

He have dry food, fresh food, SW and FW. Temp look ok. Sand is a little on the dry side but clumpy enough for holding tunnel.

I don’t know what to do, if this one die, that it is for me and crabs, I feel so bad.

if you have any idea what I coudl do please let me know.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
9 inch + mix sans EE sand castle consistency
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Side middle, 80 and 80-85% humidity
3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
Heat pad on the side/back
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
SW and FW I don’t remember the brand but I checked here before and it’s the proper dose and brand
5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Dry food like crush nuts, or crush dry shrimp chia and stuff + fresh fruit and honey or peanut butter
All organic
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
PP 2years +
7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes 1 years ++
8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
30g aquarium light lid + glass
9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
only one more crab right now he is small ¾ inch opening
10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
4 (2 inch opening shell are hard to find)
11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no
12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
Deep clean is every 3 month but I clean food 1 or 2 time a week
13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no
14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no
15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Topic author
bmer

Re: Big PP crab butt naked

Post by bmer » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:47 am

That was him 1 month ago

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Big PP crab butt naked

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:48 am

The African Turbo is way too huge for him! He needs shells in between that small one he had chosen and the big ones he used to be in. Some crabs will downsize randomly, and also if they are weak for some reason they'll ditch bigger heavier shells as well. He needs a turbo in the 1 & 1/8 inch range and he should stay shelled for you.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram