Keeping substrate moist

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Keeping substrate moist

Post by SLEPTAS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:28 am

So I've tried just about everything I can raise my humidity levels but there still staying around 30-50%. Half of the take is all water and I have bubbles in that pool. I have moss all around the tank. I have a plastic sealed lid. I just dont know what else I can do to raise the humidity. My substrate isnt holding a lot of moister but that might be because the top layer isnt mixed with sand. Would sand help with this problem?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Keeping substrate moist

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:42 am

One thing I haven't seen you mention is if you have in fact calibrated the gauge. So my question, have you calibrated the gauge - I know, shocker, didn't see that question coming at all! :D

It's like to be a gauge issue, unless the bubblers are a little too powerful and pushing too much dry air into the tank and drying it out a bit.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:38 am

My gauge may not be calibrated but I can still tell that the humidity is slow just by feeling inside the tank. It doesnt change much from the feel of the room I have them in.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 pm

When you set up your tank did you mix the substrate with enough water (dechlorinated) to hold its shape? How much if your substrate is sand?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:43 pm

It held it shape well at the begining. I have it at like half and half sand and eco earth

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:05 am

An EE topper will likely boost humidity more than a sand mix would.

I agree those numbers don't seem right at all. I would strongly suggest calibrating before panicking as well! Humidity is hard to judge only with skin. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=92540
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram