My hermit crab has spots

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Re: My hermit crab has spots

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:43 am

JoeHermits wrote: I was under the impression that food-grade containers didn’t do that, hence they are labeled “food-grade”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But food grade wasn't designed for salt water. And nowadays they put bad chemicals into so many things. Personally we don't even use these for our food because the plastic has been linked to cancer. I am not trying to be mean or rude but maybe plastic is just not the best for salt water.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:47 am

Cococrabgirl! wrote:But food grade wasn't designed for salt water. And nowadays they put bad chemicals into so many things. Personally we don't even use these for our food because the plastic has been linked to cancer. I am not trying to be mean or rude but maybe plastic is just not the best for salt water.

I forgot to say I am still looking for glass water bowls and a thermometer / hygrometer. And some time this week I will be adding in more substrate. (I am actually mixing sand and coconut fiber for the first time usually I just use sand)

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:03 am

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:47 am
I forgot to say I am still looking for glass water bowls and a thermometer / hygrometer. And some time this week I will be adding in more substrate. (I am actually mixing sand and coconut fiber for the first time usually I just use sand)

Most of us double up the water bowls so when changing out the water, we just lift out the top bowl and leave the bottom bowl to hold the shape in the sand. Many times a crab will be buried under the bowls and they shouldn't be disturbed. It would be difficult to double up glass bowls.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am

I don't use plastic bowls for my pets for the same reason, unless it can't be avoided like with the buckets for the snakes and then it's always food grade plastic. It's not something super important, but I'm always personally concerned about possible exposure in smaller animals, especially since there are always new warnings for humans every few years.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:00 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:16 am
I don't use plastic bowls for my pets for the same reason, unless it can't be avoided like with the buckets for the snakes and then it's always food grade plastic. It's not something super important, but I'm always personally concerned about possible exposure in smaller animals, especially since there are always new warnings for humans every few years.
I would assume you would then have to glue the pebbles or whatever in there so they can get in and out.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: Most of us double up the water bowls so when changing out the water, we just lift out the top bowl and leave the bottom bowl to hold the shape in the sand. Many times a crab will be buried under the bowls and they shouldn't be disturbed. It would be difficult to double up glass bowls.
Thank you for the advice.

Topic author
Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:01 pm

wodesorel wrote:I don't use plastic bowls for my pets for the same reason, unless it can't be avoided like with the buckets for the snakes and then it's always food grade plastic. It's not something super important, but I'm always personally concerned about possible exposure in smaller animals, especially since there are always new warnings for humans every few years.
Just curious what do you use for water bowls for your crabbies? And I don't know alot about snakes what do you mean by snake buckets?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:59 pm
Thank you for the advice.

You're welcome.