20% Hermit Crab Humidity at PETCO

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Bates9118

20% Hermit Crab Humidity at PETCO

Post by Bates9118 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:53 pm

I stopped by PETCO today and noticed that the humidity was at 20%, the water bowl was dry, and the crabs were all still. (granted, nocturnal). Painted shells, processed food and shallow substrate. I said something to the teenage kid that worked there, and he shrugged it off. I’ve been thinking about the crabs all night. If I bought them all, PETCO would just restock. It’s almost like we have to sacrifice the poor creatures currently inside PETCOS so that the business as a whole goes under. I walked around the store and almost EVERY animal was unkept and suffering. YouTube videos show that this is a typical thing for PETCO.

Jimmy, Jimmy, Ghost and October

Jamison

Re: 20% Hermit Crab Humidity at PETCO

Post by Jamison » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 pm

That is terrible! And I thought outsmart conditions were bad. They had their humidity at 75
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 pm

The Petco I go to have a great set up. Perfect? No. But you don't want deep substrate at petstores. Otherwise molters would be dug up to be sold. I know what you mean about ending the industry. But it really feels like a rescue purchasing them doesn't it?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:25 pm

The main thing you can do is not buy their crabs and attempt to educate people about the hermit crab trade business. PETA actually has a few videos on You Tube about it. , just search "peta hermit crab". I won't post a direct link but you should be able to find it easily. It's amazing how many of these guys actually make it as long as they do. The best way to stop their abuse and neglect in the pet trade is to not buy hermit crabs from any business and only adopt or rescue when there is a crab in need. Most of the time the adoption and rescues are two scenarios. People see what kind of care crabs need AFTER they purchase hermits and do not want to invest that much time or money in them. They were pets for their kids and the kids lost interest after a few months and the parents get tired of caring for them. Out of our 30 current hermit crabs I believe all but 7 are rescues or adoptions. We have a higher success rate with rescues too. So far 100% of our rescued crabs are living, maybe 33% of our store bought crabs lived to make it through a successful molt. Those are estimated percentages from the last year.
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!

soilentgringa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:12 pm

Motörcrab wrote:The main thing you can do is not buy their crabs and attempt to educate people about the hermit crab trade business. PETA actually has a few videos on You Tube about it. , just search "peta hermit crab". I won't post a direct link but you should be able to find it easily. It's amazing how many of these guys actually make it as long as they do. The best way to stop their abuse and neglect in the pet trade is to not buy hermit crabs from any business and only adopt or rescue when there is a crab in need. Most of the time the adoption and rescues are two scenarios. People see what kind of care crabs need AFTER they purchase hermits and do not want to invest that much time or money in them. They were pets for their kids and the kids lost interest after a few months and the parents get tired of caring for them. Out of our 30 current hermit crabs I believe all but 7 are rescues or adoptions. We have a higher success rate with rescues too. So far 100% of our rescued crabs are living, maybe 33% of our store bought crabs lived to make it through a successful molt. Those are estimated percentages from the last year.

PETA Is a horrific organization that contributes to millions of animal deaths. I wouldn’t give them the page views or clicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 pm

I'm assuming you are referring to their animal shelters?
Help Improve Our Resources Section (weblinks)
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315

Once we get more links the directors will update the resources in a few weeks. Thanks!