Gnat infestation

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
AJadams

Re: Gnat infestation

Post by AJadams » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:59 pm

I will try that but the only way for me to make saltwater is with my all living things saltwater conditioner will that work?

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Not sure, since it’s not a marine salt, so it may not give you full strength saltwater. You could certainly try it, something is better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cleaning problem

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:36 pm

AJadams wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Maybe a few bowls of vinegar with a few drops of dish soap scattered around the house - and tank - to kill then off and allow easy removal?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Will do, but what about mold
Manual removal is fine - its not deadly to the crabs like it is to us. Spraying the mould with a saltwater solution can also kill it.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:49 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
JoeHermits wrote:Saltwater can ***** mold growth. That’s why many crabbers recommend soaking coconut fiber in saltwater.

You could try filling a spray bottle with saltwater and give the mold a spritz. If the mold is really bad you can try a stronger solution. Double strength marine solution in the substrate won’t harm the crabs. Can’t promise anything but it’s worth a shot.

I’m being censored. I used a word meaning “delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment.” No vulgar language here.

It is commonly used in a negative connotation, hence why it was censored.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cleaning problem

Post by curlysister » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:45 pm

It is imperative that you don't dig up the molting crabs unless absolutely necessary - and we are telling you that gnats and mold are not one of the reasons. If you dig up the crabs, you will almost certainly harm them. The mold and gnats are not harmful to them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:53 pm

The gnat trap that always works best for me is: Get a jar or a long cup and fill 1/3 of it with bread and vinegar. Then make a funnel out of paper big enough for the gnats to go into but small enough that they can't ecsape. It works like a charm for me and it always catches TONS of gnats and flies!! :crabblush:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Topic author
AJadams

Post by AJadams » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:55 pm

scuttlecrusty22 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:53 pm
The gnat trap that always works best for me is: Get a jar or a long cup and fill 1/3 of it with bread and vinegar. Then make a funnel out of paper big enough for the gnats to go into but small enough that they can't ecsape. It works like a charm for me and it always catches TONS of gnats and flies!! :crabblush:
Thank you for the feedback I will remember that for the future but I do not have a problem with this any more , my largest hermie came up first which I thought was odd because he went under last, I gave it another month and still nothing, it had been about 6 months for them molting which wouldn’t be unusual if they were bigger but mine were only about 2 inches large at the most so I finally isolated my only crab up and cleaned out the tank, it turned out the other two had she’ll rot and passed away mid molt, it was unfortunate but my biggest crab is still happy and healthy in a redesigned (disinfected) home and just happened to go under to molt again crossing my fingers!