National Geographic - Male Hermit Crabs Evolved Longer Genitalia

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
jadewolf

National Geographic - Male Hermit Crabs Evolved Longer Genitalia

Post by jadewolf » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:16 am

So, spotted an interesting article this week... https://www.nationalgeographic.com/anim ... ct-shells/

A fascinating article (the actual research paper is linked in the article as well... free to download as pdf), but.. I have questions.

I have never observed the structures they're describing on any of my male crabs. There's a photo in the article and in the paper of a male E displaying what looks like an enormous pair of sexual tubes.

Has anybody observed this on their own crabs? I've never even seen anything like it in any photos before this. Is this just an Ecuadorian thing? Are PPs just not as... er... well endowed? :lol:

At any rate, it was interesting and I thought I'd share and see what others had to say!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: National Geographic - Male Hermit Crabs Evolved Longer Genitalia

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:09 am

It's probably cause it's well hidden within the shell, and not easily observable... :) But yeah, the article is pretty funny in a way, selective pressures of shell 'stealing' or being predated on, resulted in a longer genitals! Crazy what nature does.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Motörcrab

Re: National Geographic - Male Hermit Crabs Evolved Longer Genitalia

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 pm

I saw this same article a few weeks ago and was debating posting it since! LOL. After reading that article I will always giggle when anyone mentions their PP's! :hlol:
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities