Dishes

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Dishes

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:19 pm

I have tried all types of dishes for my hermies and can't really find the perfect one. I have noticed the ceramic ones are difficult for smaller crabs to get into. They can't grip it. I can't find one with low enough a lip. I have tried terra cotta but those absorb wet food and are impossible to clean. And it has to be small enough because in my 40 gb there's little space. Any suggestions?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Kt Kat

Re: Dishes

Post by Kt Kat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:39 pm

I use a reptile feeding dish (made of some sort of resin) that has a natural rocky shape that all crabs can climb in and out of for my main dish. A lot of people feed food in scallop/clam shells which come in all sizes. They also range in shape from plate-like to bowl-like. They can get a little gross/stained if you leave food in them too long however.

Another option are soy sauce bowls/dipping dishes (I dont know the actual name for them) that if you've ever gone out for sushi you might be familiar with. They are usually very shallow and small. My local asian grocery has a wide variety and they are great for serving small amounts of fresh food that I want to get out of the tank as soon as it starts to turn.

There's also tea bag rests, those are even smaller!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:08 pm

I use these for my big guys because they just plow on through it to eat.
https://zoomed.com/repti-rock-food-dish/

I use this for the Ruggie so she can't drag it around. It's tiny enough that it fits perfectly in my 29. It's really tiny though!
https://www.chewy.com/pangea-magnetic-f ... /dp/162434?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:20 pm

I’ve started using these, and my little guys don’t seem to have any trouble; I added the craft mesh for grip on one side. They are glass mason storage... glasses. Lol. They come in a set of 6 I think, and there are one of each respective size shown but in a square, a circle, and a rectangle version. Here’s a picture of each size so you’ll know what I mean, but they’re perfect for my crabbies- depth and overall size. These are perhaps 2x2x2” at a glance for the deeper one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:29 pm

I also use a dish similar to the ReptiRock one that Wode posted.
And I have about 5 or 6 of these little prep bowls in varying sizes, I push them down into the sub so the crabs don't tip them over. They are shallow enough that I don't need to worry about the crabs not being able to get in and out.

https://www.stokesstores.com/en/glass-b ... oUEALw_wcB
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Kt Kat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:39 pm
I use a reptile feeding dish (made of some sort of resin) that has a natural rocky shape that all crabs can climb in and out of for my main dish. A lot of people feed food in scallop/clam shells which come in all sizes. They also range in shape from plate-like to bowl-like. They can get a little gross/stained if you leave food in them too long however.

Another option are soy sauce bowls/dipping dishes (I dont know the actual name for them) that if you've ever gone out for sushi you might be familiar with. They are usually very shallow and small. My local asian grocery has a wide variety and they are great for serving small amounts of fresh food that I want to get out of the tank as soon as it starts to turn.

There's also tea bag rests, those are even smaller!
I do have the resin dishes. I'll have to try the small one again. I think I stopped using it because it's still a bit too big. My 40gb doesn't have much room. What with the pools, shells, log...
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:54 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:08 pm
I use these for my big guys because they just plow on through it to eat.
https://zoomed.com/repti-rock-food-dish/

I use this for the Ruggie so she can't drag it around. It's tiny enough that it fits perfectly in my 29. It's really tiny though!
https://www.chewy.com/pangea-magnetic-f ... /dp/162434?
I think I tried that first one and it totally absorbed water. Weired. Not that I use it for water but food would eventually not clean very well.
The smaller one looks good but dish part is deep for food.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:20 pm
I’ve started using these, and my little guys don’t seem to have any trouble; I added the craft mesh for grip on one side. They are glass mason storage... glasses. Lol. They come in a set of 6 I think, and there are one of each respective size shown but in a square, a circle, and a rectangle version. Here’s a picture of each size so you’ll know what I mean, but they’re perfect for my crabbies- depth and overall size. These are perhaps 2x2x2” at a glance for the deeper one

That's a good idea. I'll look for a real small one.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:56 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:29 pm
I also use a dish similar to the ReptiRock one that Wode posted.
And I have about 5 or 6 of these little prep bowls in varying sizes, I push them down into the sub so the crabs don't tip them over. They are shallow enough that I don't need to worry about the crabs not being able to get in and out.

I didn't want to push anything into the ground so as not to disturb anyone down there.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:58 pm

curlysister wrote:I also use a dish similar to the ReptiRock one that Wode posted.

Am I right that they will only ship to Canada though? These are such a great little thing. I was going to get just a few to see if it worked with mine etc, buuut, it has no other option for country. Bummer! I’ll search elsewhere! Or hey- I could always have you order them for me- ha! Ok ok, Surely they’re easy to find. I’ll see what an alternative might be and share if anyone else wants to know.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm

ooooo sorry! I actually bought mine in person, the nearest city to me has a Stokes Store in the mall!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Awww man! See, it seems the only (best) option I’ve found so far are in larger sets (I don’t need 12 or 15... not yet lol) but also with lids which makes them cost 3x what I need... lids are convenient sometimes but not necc for my purposes. If I don’t have any luck, do u think we could possibly arrange something after all? I didn’t think it would be as hard as it is appearing to be!!! Lol

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:27 pm

I use a repti-rock as well!!! It works really well for my 2 little guys they can get into the bowl eaisly and they can't drag it around. Here are a few for sale online that are really good quality and very useful. :clap:

https://www.google.com/search?q=repti+r ... =632&dpr=1

:smile::
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:32 pm

I do have the food and water dish combo, but the one was so shallow that if anyone moved the water there was a low spot that made it leak out pretty badly. They just aren’t deep at all I didn’t think. Mine aren’t at least!
Also, am I imagining this or did I read it somewhere else? I thought they were supposed to have it deep enough they can submerge or close to it, as long as they have a way to climb out as well? Is that a ‘should’ or an ‘ideal condition’ or a ‘just if you can’ on the scale of important needs?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:03 am

Water dishes need to be deep enough that they can submerge. These are what I use for food dishes. Where are you located? I am sure we could work something out, not sure the cost of shipping tho.